Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On Sovereign Variability In Dimensions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  
7 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add keevan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got a batch of A-22 air-tites in today and started putting some gold sovereigns inside, and I noticed that one of them (1911) would not fit into the direct-fit airtite (22mm), it would not lie flat in the circular indentation in the plastic holder. I got a few other comparable sovereigns and they fit fine.

I started thinking that the 1911 was possibly fake because all other sovereigns fit fine in the airtite holder.
I took some measurements as best I could and there's nothing that really sticks out in comparison with the others I measured.

Am I unnecessarily worried about a 110+ year old coin that didn't get struck with the exact right dimensions to make it fit into a plastic holder? Perhaps it's not perfectly circular or flat.
If the coin in question fit in the airtite fine, I would have no reason to consider it as possibly suspect since it passes all my tests (sigma, magnet, dimension weight, ping test, etc).

Year Diameter Thickness Grams Sigma Fits in A22 airtite?
1911 22.26mm 1.58mm 8.0 mid - 2 No, won't lie flat inside unless I force it in
1928 22.07mm 1.52mm 8.0 mid - 1 Yes
1903 22.24mm 1.56mm 8.0 mid - 1 Yes
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We'll need pictures to authenticate. Weight would also help.
Learn More...
Australia
13642 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A sovereign ought to be the correct size, and no out by so much that it won't fit in a sovereign-sized case or box. The various branches of The Royal Mint were usually very meticulous with keeping the gold coins to the proper standard dimensions.

Possible options:
- Counterfeit. In the Middle East and Dubai, in particular, replica gold coins are commonly made by the jewellers in the gold market. Dubai replicas are supposed to be clearly coujntermarked with their gold fineness, but older Lebanese replicas are likely to be unmarked.
- Altered coin. Perhaps the coin was turned into a piece of jewellery at one stage, then removed again. The process of turning it into jewellery might have flattened it, or squeezed the edges. THere's also likely to be damage at some point, so pics would be helpful in ruling this option out.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
7207 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
7 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keevan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't link my imgur post for pictures --- trying forum suggested alternatives
7 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keevan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

7 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keevan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
Australia
13642 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any pics of the obverse?

The side-by-side edge pic worries me - because sovereigns are supposed to all have exactly the same milling - it was one of the key anti-counterfieting measures of the coin. Yet these two coins do not seem to have correctly aligned milling.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
7 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keevan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Some more pictures below:

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05