Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Poor Man's" Large Size $1 Type Set.what Next?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 475Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  5:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've long been putting together my collection of mostly VF large size notes, and with the acquisition of the Martha note, Fr 221, I'm getting pretty close to what you could call a $1 type set of large size notes.

What should be my next addition?. It might be a while, since I only buy notes when I think I'm getting a really good deal, but options are:
1. Earlier Washington US note (1869-probably cost prohibitive, 1874, 1875, 1880)
2. 1923 red seal (my current most likely choice and cheapest remaining note)
3. Martha plain back or large seal
4. Stanton fancy back
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful set!! I'm impressed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need the $1 US Note.

Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great notes! a series 1869 $1 Rainbow note would cap it all off. Or an 1890 Mcpherson Coin note.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4077 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bison and indian notes are a must have. Also, large size gold certs would be nice to have. That is, if you care to move to other denominations other than the $1. If not, then the 1923 red seal is the obvious choice. Best of luck.
Edited by jimbucks
05/20/2021 6:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoubleEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're missing the same $1 note that I am.

A first series $1 National Currency note.

$$$$$$
Pillar of the Community
United States
3256 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in agreement, and in the same boat as DoubleEagle20. Your assortment of notes look cool, all grouped together. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7286 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set!
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59479 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, the next step is the 1923 LT. Great set so far!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4077 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, these are the small size red seals for a transition!

Edited by jimbucks
05/20/2021 7:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You need the $1 US Note.

Probably the easy choice based on what I've got and the $$.

Quote:
Great notes! a series 1869 $1 Rainbow note would cap it all off.

This might have been my first choice, but budget may force my hand to go elsewhere.

Quote:
The bison and indian notes are a must have. Also, large size gold certs would be nice to have.

Outside of the $1 notes, I am certainly looking for a 1906 $20 gold cert (I have the 1907 and 1922 $10 notes and 1922 $20 note).

Quote:
You're missing the same $1 note that I am. A first series $1 National Currency note.

There's one coming up in June on Heritage as part of the Mike Coltrane collection that would go perfectly in this group (VF35). I'll definitely be putting in a low ball bid and hoping for a miracle.

Quote:
Well, these are the small size red seals for a transition!

Fortunately, I have that one already...but in the same quality range as these notes, not CU.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1357 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agree, the next step is the 1923 LT. Great set so far!

that's what I thought before scrolling down to see I wasn't alone.
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 475Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05