Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS Slab Tightness.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 688Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Russian Federation
331 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  07:18 am Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I noticed that a sufficient number of coins rated by PCGS, as well as NGC coins are rotated. As I was informed by one collector, this is due to a not very tight slack and the coin turns over time. Today I got a Barber dime 1897-O PCGS and when shaking it makes a sound of plastic rubbing and the coin flips very easily. Have you ever encountered such a problem ?
Learn More...
United States
20056 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@slerk, I'm not super-knowledgeable about these things, but I think that the term is "rattler" and this was a known issue with older PCGS slabs.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1892 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the label is green and you have a rattler, you might have a desirable old Gen1 slab.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
331 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the problem coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59360 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, not uncommon on older slabs.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/25/2021 09:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2299 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a lot of rim left on that coin to fill the space designed to hold a full rimmed dime.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
331 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is mine considered old?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59360 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nfine makes a good point.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
766 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is a good point. They slab coins from all eras and from all over the world so they slab coins of varying thickness with a similar diameter to this coin. So why didn't they select an appropriate holder for this coin? When you pay good money for a service near enough isn't good enough and one size doesn't fit all.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
331 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see that I am not the only one with this problem. Is it highly prevalent in newer slabs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9648 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is mine considered old?

Your slab in the image is not an old slab.

Quote:
Is it highly prevalent in newer slabs?

No, it is not highly prevalent in newer slabs. But it can and does occur in all generations of slabs.

ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
Russian Federation
331 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a perfectionist, I am very concerned about this problem + I also have a damaged slab.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8748 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also have a damaged slab.

The slab itself is in no way damaged. The internal fit was probably off by ~1mm or less. When you grade almost 300,000 coins per month, mistakes do happen.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
Russian Federation
331 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was talking about the damage on the reverse. It is quite small and does not look like a chip at all. But thank you for reassuring me, and this is just a minor flaw in the company.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2021  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got quite a few older slabs and I've seen the coins can gradually rotate with handling, especially the 1st generation PCGS "rattler" slabs. I've found the coins can often be rotated back in place just by gently tapping a corner of the holder against the palm of your hand until they're positioned as you would like. I've seen coins mispositioned in newer slabs, but those are usually tight enough this little trick won't work.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2021  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was talking about the damage on the reverse. It is quite small and does not look like a chip at all.

From the pic, to me that does look like a small chip in the stacking edge, which is not too unusual to see. The stacking edge is fairly thin and a bit prone to chipping with a lot of handling.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 688Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05