Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Found On Beach, Counterfeit Or Real?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,159Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add harrisiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone know what this is? Found it with my metal detector in the wet sand on Texas coast. Back side is not really recognizable and don't want to clean until I have more information. If there is a chance it is real please suggest simple cleaning method. It is NOT magnetic. Any help greatly appreciated!

Edited by harrisiv
05/27/2021 09:10 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11849 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a cob 8 reales of some sort, but I have very limited knowledge in this area. My guess is it would be genuine based on the appearance.

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Edited by spruett001
05/27/2021 09:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9797 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quite the find. I would leave it just as found.
looks genuine to me.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine to me. I agree with keeping it as is. Great find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's made of lead, it may be a seal of some sort. The fabric is not that of a coin imo. What do you see in the angles of the cross? I wouldn't try to clean it.
Edited by Kushanshah
05/27/2021 09:58 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harrisiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Few more in natural lighting.

Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sure does look old...but the crumbly edge suggests a potmetal counterfeit contemporary with the time of usage of that and similar cob coins
an old fake....but keep looking the real ones are out there!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harrisiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So its most likely fake...any way to put this to bed and know for sure?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is it made of?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harrisiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure, other than it is non magnetic. Has same encrustation on edges that is often found on pennies that I find. However, I do find some older 925 silver jewelry in the area with the same encrustation too. I will try and get a weight. Sick joke on a metal detectorist finding this on the beach. I guess kids could have been playing with it a long time ago and the recent rough weather and high tides lowered the beach just enough for me to find it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it's a lead bale (bag) seal from the Spanish colonial period, used to seal goods for shipping. Spanish would seem most likely based on the Texas coast find spot but not the only possibility. [edited]
Edited by Kushanshah
05/27/2021 11:09 am
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harrisiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't appear to have the weight of lead...makes slight "dinging" sound when dropped on glass table. Conductivity reading on my metal detector is more consistent with copper/zinc, heavier gold, or light silver. I know that doesn't tell anyone much but that is the best I can do.
Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
Learn More...
United States
20013 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@harris, when you say you found it on a beach, might this beach have been either on the gulf coast of Texas or Florida? I seem to remember another thread where someone found a similar piece in that geographic range.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harrisiv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence Found it metal detecting on beach on North Padre Island, Texas, covered in about 8" of sand.
Learn More...
Australia
13731 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but it's not a genuine coin, and not very old. What we have here is some synthetic "pirate treasure". It's a replica "piece of eight" that someone has buried on the beach (presumably as part of a "find the pirate treasure" game) and nobody found this one - until the OP came along with a metal detector, probably several years later.

Check out the pics of the coin in this old thread, which was found on a beach in the Bahamas. It's exactly the same shape, and the cross (what can be seen of it) has exactly the same dints and flaws in it. Cob coins don't have exactly the same shape, dints and flaws as each other.

Your coin is badly corroded because it's not made of silver, but some base-metal (pewter or some such) that was plated. You can see the plating peeling off on the edge shot.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,159Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05