Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Dad's Finds While Working At A Bank In The 70's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 567Next Topic  
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  2:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shieldm1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While working at a bank in NJ in the 1970s my dad came across a number of fake $100 bills and high-value coins so he had a keen eye for the look, feel, and weight of all kinds of currency. One fella tried to exchange some change for cash including this 1971 quarter. He and I don't understand why someone would go out of their way to mint fake quarters to spend at face value.

In addition, he grabbed two rolls of pennies and one roll of nickels all machine-wrapped from 1974. Today he can't remember why but he has a hunch he believed they would have value in the future. Does anyone have an idea why 1974 pennies/nickels might have been considered valuable at that time?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quarter is definitely peculiar. Regarding the rolls, stuff like that can gain a bit of a premium over time, especially for variety hunters. You're not going to break the bank, but they're probably worth several times face to the right person.

Here are some lots of $2.50 in 2020-D Lincolns that a dozen people paid $17 for: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264907555128
Pillar of the Community
United States
4061 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the quarter was exposed to high heat (fire, blowtorch, etc). I don't see it having any value.
Learn More...
United States
20057 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@shi, can you please post the weight of that quarter? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shieldm1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence, unfortunately I don't have a scale but it feels like it's about half the appropriate weight or less.
Learn More...
United States
20057 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'd keep that one off to the side until you can get an accurate weight. It could be nothing as suggested by @jimb, but I think it warrants a little more investigation.

Added: can you please check to see if it is attracted to a magnet? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
642 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, I do not have a counterfeit 25C. Have 5c, 50C, and $1, my fake 1C is a numismatic forgery.

5c

It is made of lead and weighs 6.52 gm. Somehow I determined the date is 1960. Again, it seems like a lot of work in the 60s for a nickel.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
941 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If we look at the part selected in the follow picture, we can determine that was occur after strike. Sorry it is not a planchet crack.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1777 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1974 cents were made in lg date and sm dts. Nice sm dts are much less common. Additionally, and more likely he was aware of it at the time, '74-S cents were mixed with production of other mints (mostly Denver) to discourage hoarding.

There was no particular reason to save nickels except that very few were being saved and with the large mintages they might have been overlooked. They were not.

'74-P quarters were the only coins that year undersaved but this isn't apparent due to lack of demand and still ample supplies of mint sets. These were very poorly made so few bothered to set any aside. They were produced right up through mid-1975 so mintage was very high.

The better coins of 1974 are still unrecognized and are mostly choice P 25 c and any gemmy small date cent. The nickels are common with FS but are a little tough in nice Gem w/ FS.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20284 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way. way back in time I too used to save brand new rolls of coins. Back then myself and many others thought someday they all would be worth a fortune. Some time ago I took them all to a bank. I could have made more in interest putting that same amount in a savings account. Way, way back then interest rates in banks were really high.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 567Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05