Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Mint Announces Designs For 2022 American Women Quarters Program Coins

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,352Next Topic
Page: of 3
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  07:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) is pleased to announce the official designs for the first five coins in the American Women Quarters Program. Authorized by Public Law 116-330, this four-year program features coins with reverse (tails) designs emblematic of the accomplishments and contributions of trailblazing American women. Beginning in 2022 and continuing through 2025, the Mint will issue five quarters in each of these years. The ethnically, racially, and geographically diverse group of individuals honored through this program reflects a wide range of accomplishments and fields, including suffrage, civil rights, abolition, government, humanities, science, space, and the arts. The 2022 coins recognize the achievements of Maya Angelou, Dr. Sally Ride, Wilma Mankiller, Nina Otero-Warren, and Anna May Wong.

"These inspiring coin designs tell the stories of five extraordinary women whose contributions are indelibly etched in American culture," said United States Mint Acting Director Alison L. Doone. "Generations to come will look at coins bearing these designs and be reminded of what can be accomplished with vision, determination and a desire to improve opportunities for all."

2022 Reverse Designs
The Secretary of the Treasury selected the final designs in accordance with the design selection process, which is available here. All reverse designs were created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Designers and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artists. Line art of the designs is available here.

Maya Angelou—celebrated writer, performer, social activist
Designer: Emily Damstra, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Craig A. Campbell, Medallic Artist
The design depicts Maya Angelou with her arms uplifted. Behind her are a bird in flight and a rising sun, images inspired by her poetry and symbolic of the way she lived. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "MAYA ANGELOU," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," and "QUARTER DOLLAR."

Dr. Sally Ride—physicist, astronaut, educator, and first American woman to soar into space
Designer: Elana Hagler, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Phebe Hemphill, Medallic Artist
This design depicts Dr. Ride next to a window on the space shuttle, inspired by her quote, "But when I wasn't working, I was usually at a window looking down at Earth." The inscription "E PLURIBUS UNUM" is intentionally positioned over the Earth next to America, indicating that out of all women in the United States, Dr. Ride was the first into space. The additional inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "QUARTER DOLLAR," and "DR. SALLY RIDE."

Wilma Mankiller—first woman elected principal chief of the Cherokee Nation and an activist for Native American and women's rights
Designer: Ben Sowards, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Phebe Hemphill, Medallic Artist
This design depicts Wilma Mankiller with a resolute gaze to the future. The wind is at her back, and she is wrapped in a traditional shawl. To her left is the seven-pointed star of the Cherokee Nation. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," "QUARTER DOLLAR," "WILMA MANKILLER," "PRINCIPAL CHIEF," and "CHEROKEE NATION," which is written in the Cherokee syllabary.

Nina Otero-Warren—a leader in New Mexico's suffrage movement and the first female superintendent of Santa Fe public schools
Designer: Chris Costello, AIP Designer
Sculptor: Craig A. Campbell, Medallic Artist
The design features an image of Nina Otero-Warren on the left, flanked by three individual Yucca flowers—New Mexico's state flower. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "QUARTER DOLLAR," "E PLUIBUS UNUM," "NINA OTERO-WARREN," and "VOTO PARA LA MUJER," the Spanish counterpart for the suffragist slogan "Votes for Women."

Anna May Wong—first Chinese American film star in Hollywood, who left a legacy for women in the film industry
Designer: Emily Damstra, AIP Designer
Sculptor: John P. McGraw, Medallic Artist
This design features a close-up image of Anna May Wong with her head resting on her hand, surrounded by the bright lights of a marquee sign. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," "QUARTER DOLLAR," and "ANNA MAY WONG."

Common Obverse (Heads) Design
The obverse design of all coins in the American Women Quarters Program is by Laura Gardin Fraser, one of the most prolific female sculptors of the early 20th century, whose works span the art and numismatic worlds. Fraser's design depicts a portrait of George Washington, which was originally composed and sculpted as a candidate to mark George Washington's 200th birthday. Though recommended for the 1932 quarter, then-Treasury Secretary Mellon ultimately selected the familiar John Flannigan design. Inscriptions are "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST," and "2022."
Pillar of the Community
United States
1079 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, even though I've been aware of this for awhile, it still kind of shocks me.
If there was a vote for best looking reverse, I'd have to pick the Maya Angelou coin. I think the view of the eagle (dove?) behind her out stretched arms is superb.
The others are also decent designs, but I'd like to see what they look like with the actually greyish metal background of the actual coins. I do know that the general public will 'freak-out' when they find these in change; as these are totally different than all of our previous coinage.
Edited by atticguy
10/08/2021 12:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If there was a vote for best looking reverse, I'd have to pick the Maya Angelou coin. I think the view of the eagle (dove?) behind her out stretched arms is superb.
Agreed!

That design set a high bar for me and the others seem to fall short. They are not bad, but could have been better. I am sure will look a lot nicer in coin form.
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Maya Angelou design is pretty nice, the others definitely do fall a little short. I like the art-deco type design for the Anna May Wong reverse but I have a pretty strong feeling that it is not going to translate very nicely to being on a coin. I honestly don't know if any of these will look nice on a coin, even the Maya Angelou one.

Sometimes feels like the mint doesn't really think about design sensibilities anymore and just puts pictures straight onto coins. I worry that the full-length images of these women will look lifeless or creepy when minted
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62925 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just what we need, more commemorative quarters. I'm so excited.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The politically tainted replies have been removed. They have no place here. If you do not like the designs, then say that and move along.
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are interesting designs. I wonder how well they will show up on a coin the size of a quarter. Not much to work with. I actually liked the Maya Angelou design the least. I don't hate it but it just doesn't appeal to me. I like all of the others. And I am looking forward to seeing Laura Gardin Fraser's design on the obverse. I always liked her design better.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17557 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the overwhelming response from the public is going to be

WHO?
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the overwhelming response from the public is going to be WHO?
All the more reason to have them. Of course I am probably over optimistic.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While they look like crap, I'll probably do a P&D Whitman album for my daughter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just what we need, more commemorative quarters. I'm so excited.

Mr. Frog Took the words right out of my typing fingers!!!

I am so much looking forward to them continuing these series! Hoping for the future fascinating themes:

1. The Most-bought American Bubblegum Series
2. The Deepest Mine Shafts series.
3. (And the associated) Mineshafts of No Importance Series.
4. Fifty Types of American Lawn Grass series.
5. Best loved Nail Polish series.
6. Record Pothole series.
7. Best Weedkiller Recipes series.
8. Two Hundred US Soil Types Series (with chemical breakdown included).
9. Phytoplankton Population Ranking Per (Coastal) States Series.
10. The Alphabet Letters Series
11. Most Roadkill Deer by State series (multiple series follow this: rabbits, skunks, raccoons, squirrels etc).
12. The never ending series featuring pictures of all numbers used for counting.
13. Most infectious Diseases for Trees and Shrubbery Series.
14. Non Famous Places Where Nothing Important Happened Series.
15. Most windshield killed Bugs Per State Series.
16. Worst Historical Ideas for Coin Design Ideas Series...

Chomping at the bit for these to get started! I hope Whitman is keeping up with all of this!

So...

Quote:
"These inspiring coin designs tell the stories of five extraordinary women whose contributions are indelibly etched in American culture," said United States Mint Acting Director Alison L. Doone. "Generations to come will look at coins bearing these designs and be reminded of what can be accomplished with vision, determination and a desire to improve opportunities for all."

I hate to put a damper on the desired vision of these coins. But how many non numismatists totally ignore the modern ("yawn...who cares...its another one") designs of what is on the REV of a quarter now?

And even then I think its fair to say relatively few people in the hobby are avid collectors of all the quarters' series.

I think the inclusion of these famous (or mint-hopeful-to-be) people on the quarter designs is counterproductive. The concept of "special" designs on quarters went from "WOW!" for the first ones to mediocre-at-best with the endless production of new ideas.

Mediocrity is the new norm with US quarters. These coins, for most people, will probably be seen (?) as just more of the same old boring same old.

And...so many don't use cash anymore...
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
10/12/2021 8:25 pm
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one could happen. It has happened elsewhere. I think it would hit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1079 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
This one could happen. It has happened elsewhere. I think it would hit.

jbuck, I thought the same as I read through the list. I saw that Alphabet Set a year or so ago and am (slightly) interested. I'm thinking it's an Australian set, but I'm not sure.
###Yes, was the Australian 2019 great coin hunt set. Actually lots of nice types.###

I am uplifted with the USA finally issuing some varieties into the mix of coins each year. I'd hate if we ever slipped back into the same boring coins we had the first 200-years; the exact same coins every year with the date changing by one digit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1123 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wonder if they do the 5 oz versions? could see mintages below 10k
Pillar of the Community
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Alphabet series was on Aussie coins. It was called the "Great Aussie Coin Hunt," and they are on their second go round of it. But how they made it popular was by relating every letter to something decidedly from Oz.

Why do I know about it...well...b/c I had to have their Yowee coin (Bigfoot).

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3672 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But how they made it popular was by relating every letter to something decidedly from Oz.
There was also a UK alphabet coin series, which associated the letters to British things instead. I forgot which one came first. Vaguely recall that some other country did one even earlier but they were NCLT.
[EDIT: Numista says Armenia 2013, Australia 2015; I was thinking of the latter. Numista has no pictures of Armenia's series, which was produced in silver and in gold, and is apparently really obscure.]

Incidentally, I think that the US Mint really should have included at least some Chinese text on Anna May Wong's quarter.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,352Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: