Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 S Lincoln Wheat Cent Altered Date - Fake 1914-S

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 572Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3448 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  11:29 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a reminder that there are a lot of counterfeits and fakes floating around out there. I found this one in a wheat bag and although it's pretty awful some are pretty good.

1944-S Lincoln Wheat cent altered date - fake 1914-S

Pillar of the Community
United States
6382 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2021  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was this done by a Kindergartener? Gee whiz, what a sloppy job!
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
5023 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seen a few of these myself. Amazing what people will go through to fake coins. Very sloppy job by the counterfeiter but a very cool find from a Wheat bag.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Lord...so obvious! lol
I have a 22D that was altured to look like a 22 no-D been meaning to post...lol
maybe I'll post it tomorrow.
Thanks for reminding me
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TB it looks like the real deal to me. I'll buy it for 5 bazillion gazillion dollars. Will you take a check ?
Edited by Daves Errors
06/04/2021 2:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2309 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, that's really bad lol.

On a more serious note, I did once find a 1943 Lincoln which looked bronze. For about three seconds I got my hopes up. Of course, it turned out to be a copper-plated Steel cent.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15546 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am speechless , what more can I add to this thread ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool. Could have been a very serious, first time attempt gone awry, or just a 'let's see what I can do' hatchet job by someone bored.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52241 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the way to tell if the date was altered is to look at the extra space between the 19 (space) 14. It is quite noticeable.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
548 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52241 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So now everyone who see these images, will remember to look for the parking space, between the 19 and the 14 when these coins are altered.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59171 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must have been early practice coin.
24 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 44dovers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "wear" looks pretty legit but those scratches give it away. Still, it's the effort that counts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52241 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they tried a ball point pen to get rid of the unwanted '4'. I've seen even worse examples of a counterfeit 1914-S and wonder why? The 1914-D is the valuable one:

Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
06/04/2021 09:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4794 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A blind man on a fast horse could see that! Some people and their imagination are sometimes too funny!
Learn More...
United States
101823 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So now everyone who see these images, will remember to look for the parking space, between the 19 and the 14 when these coins are altered.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 572Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05