Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial - Redux

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6386 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Soon after I joined CCF back in 2011, I began posting about my favorite coin series - US commemorative coins. My early posts tended to be rather brief, however, and didn't go into the detail of my later posts. My look at the 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial half dollar falls into this category - a brief initial post without much history about the coin. So, as I've done with a few other coins, I've decided to go back and present another look at the second of the statehood anniversary coins.

A proposal for the coin was introduced in the House of Representatives by Representative John Andrew Peters (R-ME) in February 1920. Peters' bill called for silver half dollars "in commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of the admission of the State of Maine into the Union." Peters was serving in the fourth of his five terms in the House. The bill called for the striking of 100,000 coins.

Upon its introduction, the bill was referred to the House Committee on Coinage, Weights, and Measures; the Committee scheduled a Hearing for the coin proposal. At the brief Hearing, Peters noted that his bill was essentially a duplicate of the bill for the Illinois Statehood Centennial half dollar and that it ensured that the coins would be produced at no net cost to the Government.

It was revealed at the Hearing that neither the Mint nor the Department of the Treasury had any objections to the coinage bill, and that both had given the coin their approval. The Committee sent a Report back to the House stating its support for the bill. The Report concluded with: "The committee believes this to be a suitable and desirable way of recognizing an important historical event, and unanimously recommends the passage of the bill." (House Report 756)

In the House, the bill was subject to minor debate with three different Representatives rising to ask one or more questions. The questions asked were, IMO, a bit strange. The first came form Representative John Quillin Tilson (R-CT) who inquired whether the coins would replace standard circulating 50-cent pieces and whether any difficulties were anticipated in securing the needed silver for the coins. Mr. Peters assured him that the coins would not be a replacement for the regular-issue half dollars and that obtaining the needed silver was not anticipated to be a problem.

The next question was posed by Representative John Franklin Miller (R-WA); he inquired about whether the US Government was to bear the expense of preparing the dies for the coin. Mr. Peters repeated what he had stated in his opening comments: the State of Maine would bear all costs.

Representative Warren Gard (D-OH) then rose to ask the strangest of the questions. He seemed to consider the coins something to be used only during the Maine anniversary and so wondered if any provisions for redemption of the coins after the celebrations were over had been made. Peters explained that the coins would "continue to roam" after the anniversary celebrations had ended (along with regular-issue half dollars) and that no special redemption programs needed to be in place. The Q&A exchange made me wonder if Representative Gard had read the bill and understood what "legal tender" meant.

After some additional brief and unimportant discussion, the bill was considered and passed without objection. After this, the Senate Committee on Banking and Currency issued a favorable report on the coin proposal that stated it believed the Senate should concur with the House and pass the bill. The Senate did so without issue and the bill was sent off to President Woodrow Wilson for approval; Wilson signed the bill into law on May 10, 1920.

The coin's obverse design features a reasonably faithful rendering of the Maine State Seal. (For more details on the Seal, see the link below.)

The coin's reverse is a simple design with a central commemorative inscription encircled by a wreath of pine branches with pine coins. (For more details about Maine's pine tree connection, see the Flora Thread link below.)

Anthony de Francisci sculpted the models for the coin from design sketches by Maine artist Harry Cochrane. Unfortunately, multiple references still list de Francisci as the designer.

1920 Maine Statehood Centennial Half Dollar

I've posted multiple times about the Maine half dollar, here are a few to check out:

- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial
- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial - Revisited <<< Seldom Seen Ephemera
- Official Seals on Classic Commemorative Coins - 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial
- Coins Depicting Flora Thread - 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial.
- Coins With Hands Thread - 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial

To read other posts on commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
06/04/2021 5:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60740 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Say, what is the guy on the left holding?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6386 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

The farmer (on the left) is shown with his left hand resting on a scythe, while his right hand rests on his hip.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3221 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog asked...

Quote:

My guesses would be...

Giant bird skull.
Dirt Devil car vac with extended intake.
Broken boomerang.
Something that has no name from the 8th dimension.
A large crunchy taco.

BUT I think he's just leaning on the blade of a scythe. (Or as some folks call it a Sling Blade.)
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60740 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should have known better than to ask that.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/06/2021 10:37 pm
Learn More...
United States
103760 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05