Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bought Morgan - How Bad Did I Do?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 362Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  11:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi friends,

I recently bought some Morgans on an on-line auction and did not notice what appears to be intentional scratches on the front and back of coin. Is this worth anything more than a learning experience?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2682 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Please post clearer pictures of the coin(s) in question.
Tell us where you bought them and how much you paid, how long ago they were bought, then we can better advise you on "how screwed you are"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2964 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Ouch. The damage to the coin is going to drop this to melt value. I hope you didn't pay much for it.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arrived today payed $45. Thought because of the reflective surface it would be worth something but didn't notice the scratches until too late

Pillar of the Community
United States
4288 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the seller have a 'positive' return policy?
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it is sold as is.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2682 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear. Sounds like you paid $45 for a $21 melt value.
The "reflective" surface is from cleaning and the coin would be worth melt probably even without the scratches.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid you paid way too much even if it weren't scratched.

to the CCF!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information, only a 23 dollar loss, price of doing business.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2682 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
only a 23 dollar loss, price of doing business

Great attitude!
I call it cheap tuition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4544 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not quite that bad. The value of cull morgans right now is around $30, you should be able to get at least that out of it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3914 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We all make mistakes .
Take it as a teachable moment .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15378 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , I have to agree , the 1921 Philly Dollar is very common and probably the cheapest of all Morgan's .
Kind of hard to believe you didn't notice the awful condition that this coin was in before you handed them $45 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4537 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep it as a pocket piece, after a year or two it won't look that bad
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15378 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah and just get a metal file and file down those rim bumps & dents .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
7207 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great attitude!
I call it cheap tuition.

Wise!
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 362Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05