Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brazilian Copper Overstrikes - Rare And Unexpected Examples

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 276Next Topic  
Valued Member
Brazil
59 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  04:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Giovanni Miceli Puperi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Collecting brazilian copper coins can be very challenging. The documentation regarding these coins is very lacking and the official minting of coins also wasn't so consistent, even in the major mints, not to mention ill equipped mints in the provinces and unauthorized rebellious coinage. As a result, many controversies appear about our copper coins. All of the coins that are presented in this topic are unexpected overstrikes, meaning that there's no legal prevision and no pattern (meaning that there is a much smaller amount of overstrikes than the amount of coins struck over virgin planchets). As they are exceptions, they are just a fraction of a very diverse group. The change in the value to weight ratio of copper coins in 1799 seem to be a reasonable explanation for overstriking, substituting the stamping that took place since 1809 (shield countermarked).

XL Reis 1812 - Rio de Janeiro - (struck over XX Reis, Jose I, 1752-57, GUINEAE)
Though the XX Reis are all overstruck (rare coin), only a handfew of overstruck XL are known. Though the law that authorizes this overstriking is known, it still remains a mistery as why so few XX Reis were made and so few XL were overstruck.

XL Reis 1816 - Bahia - (struck over XX Reis with shield countermark)
As overstrikes are very common in 1820s Bahia coins and it's known that 960 Reis from this mint with 1816 as the era were struck at least until 1818, this coin may have been struck before the first 1820s dies were manufactured with older dies they had laying around. I know only of another one like this.

20 Reis 1825 - Rio de Janeiro - struck over X Reis with shield countermark (Jose I - 1752-76)
40 Reis 1827 - Rio de Janeiro - struck over XX Reis with shield countermark (Joćo V - 1715-49)
80 Reis 1825 - Rio de Janeiro - struck over XL Reis with shield countermark (1753-96)
80 Reis 1827 - Rio de Janeiro - struck over XL Reis with shield countermark (Jose I - 1753-74)
All the coins above fit in the same context, rare overstrikes among a sea of normal coins. Not much is known. Though there's a law regarding overstriking from 1827, the practice seems to already have been established.

40 Reis 1830 - Rio de Janeiro - struck over XL Reis (Joćo VI - Rio de Janeiro - 1818-1822)
As many counterfeits from the United Kingdom era (1816-1821) appeared in circulation, people started refusing coins from this period. There are discussions since 1830 to overstrike United Kingdom era coins to make sure they were accepted. Though this type of overstrike is common in 1831, this is one of two that I know from 1830.

Full res pictures can be found here: https://utilidadenumismaticagmp.blo...og-post.html
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18740 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative introductory article on Brazilian copper coinage.
Thanks for the posting and pics.

I always jump at the opportunity of acquiring copper coins pre 1900 from any country, but the copper coinage of Brazil has never been far from the top of my numismatic 'bucket' list. The designs are so distinctive.

Copper coins are the money of poorer people, and it is much harder to find them in better than VF-EF grades.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4195 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, an interesting series indeed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They really are interesting coins, which is why I have a number of samples in my collection.
In these two pictures I have altered the color with my photo software.
One is a genuine countermark on a counterfeit coin.
The other is a counterfeit countermark on a genuine coin.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3365 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is interesting!

I collect world overstruck coins but never knew about Brazilian copper overstrikes. Fascinating!

I own a silver one. 1820 960 reis over 1813 lima 8 reales

My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I remember right, I think one of my other Brazil coins is or was a 960 Reis.
What was interesting is that it had the "visible under coin".
So if you look carefully under lighting, under a scope, and do some tilting, you may see the "under coin".
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 276Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05