Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Danbury Mint - Not Exactly The Bargain Of The Century!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 442Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8916 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  4:17 pm Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was quite amazed to see an advertisement yesterday in a national British newspaper for a complete set of UK pre-decimal circulating coins from the farthing to the crown for the reign of Queen Elizabeth II (1953-67). That's 117 coins in total.
https://www.danburymint.co.uk/produ...-collection/
Assuming the coins are in average circulated condition - say VF to EF, with maybe some of the later ones in Uncirculated, the most expensive coins (like the 1953 penny, 1960 crown and 1959 Scottish shilling) should only cost a few pounds. The vast majority of these coins are the sort most dealers throw into their junk trays.

Well, the Danbury Mint is charging 7.95 PER COIN plus 95p postage - that's right, 8.90 per coin. For the full set the price would be 1,041.30p!

Of course, you do get a nice posh cabinet to house them!

I wonder how many people will actually buy these collections, and how many will take them along to their local coin dealer in years to come, expecting that their 'investment' will now be worth 5,000 or 10,000.
Edited by NumisRob
06/13/2021 4:19 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Danbury mint was reported on rip off Britain for their flagrant overpriced coins.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8916 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Danbury mint was reported on rip off Britain for their flagrant overpriced coins.

I'm glad to hear it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4189 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob, probably everyone who buys them will be very disappointed. If not them then whoever inherits them. Maybe the purchasers will get UNC coins? So it will not be quite as bad?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8916 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins in their publicity seem to be in a variety of conditions. It would be fun to ask them what condition the coins are in - I wonder what they would reply!
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They would say some gibberish like "Coins are in collectors grade".
Pillar of the Community
United States
4071 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but "they are sold out at the mint".
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59393 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2800 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Granny bait, but in this age of free market Capitalism and corporate Greed what can you do?

A fool and their money are soon parted....

But this type of blatantly ripping off vulnerable people can put off them off becoming future coin collectors.

One of you guys should work out what catalogue cost would be for a complete set of these coins with VF grade for 1953 to 1963, EF for 1964 to 1966 and AU/BU for 1967 just to see what the cost would be out of interest.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2800 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That link has some of their other rip off offers.

1. The last of the Sixpences - 1936 - 1967 at 8.95 per coin, including the super rare 1952 - maybe that one is worth that price but the others heck no. And the classic (And the pre 1946 are 50% Silver - granny bait words)

2. Victorian Half Crown collection - 240 and it shows 3 very worn (G - VG) halfcrowns, one YH, JH and OH and YH is likely 1874 or later. Anyone wants three worn Viccies - I will sell you them for 60 or $120 Kiwi.

3. Shillings Collection 11.95 a coin from 1937 onwards.

4. 50p collectors club - 20 per special 50p coin but future ones only, no Kew Gardens or Benjamin Bunnies.

5. the Dambusters, a worn set of 1943 coins for 149 and Queen Mary's gift - 199 for 5 worn 1914/15 coins - the worst type of scamming linking a historical event that stirs emotion in vulnerable people and linking it to worn coins from the same year worth no more than melt (The Titanic nickel scam).

6. https://www.danburymint.co.uk/produ...-collection/

This takes the cake!! - 22 per coin and look at how worn that 1937 halfcrown is (It is like VG, when you can get gFine easily). I doubt any coin except 1938 would cost that even UNC

This cost me the equivalent of 10, why would you pay over twice that for a worn one.

These people should be arrested for highway robbery!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
52 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add saxon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8916 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't noticed the halfcrowns, Princetane! My LCS has plenty of cupro-nickel halfcrowns from 1947 to 1967 in a tray for 25 pence each - I even saw an AU 1953 one there the other day. I reckon I could put together a 1937-67 set of halfcrowns in VG to AU for under 100 - that's less than one-sixth of the Danbury Mint charge. And if anyone tried selling the Danbury Mint set of halfcrowns to a dealer, all they would get would be melt for the ten 50% silver ones from 1937-46. No dealer would be interested in circulated halfcrowns from 1947-67 (unless someone found another 1952 halfcrown...)
Valued Member
United Kingdom
481 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every single entity with the suffix MINT are all con men. even The Royal Mint. go look at what they charge for nostalgia. Outside of The Royal Mint all those so called collectors sets are not endorsed by the RM and are just worthless toot. All are in base metal.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05