Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1840 O Seated Liberty Quarter, No Drapery, Grade Request

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 502Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  04:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I have another seated for your review, except this one is a quarter from 1840. Any thoughts on grade?

Edited by Bchill27
06/23/2021 04:02 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59357 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too much flash to see the surfaces clearly.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2639 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could just be the pics, but surfaces look pretty lifeless. Not seeing any signs of original luster. AU Details, Cleaned for me
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill, the lighting hear is washing out the surfaces and we are unable to determine the originality of the coin. from a grade standpoint the coin looks AU58. was the coin cleaned? its not possible to tell from these photos. from the photos presented it does appear that way.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize for the pics. These are the pictures provided when I bought it. I sent it off to PCGS yesterday for grading, and the gold shield, which includes a TruView photo shoot. Thank you for your comments. In person, the coin does lack luster, but I could not identify hairlines or the rounded edges that typically come with dipping. It is more of a dull haze.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No drapery, mint mark to the far left, Briggs Obverse 1 Reverse 1 Eagle has no toungue like previous years.

AU55 may go details for an old cleaning, hope not.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59357 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, images are washed out, impossible to grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with AU55, but without better pics I am inclined to think details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Frog as ungradable from images.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22431 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also agree with Frog, photos too bright to get a feel for what the actual surfaces look like.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The PCGS verdict is in. Here are their photos.

AU details, damage, surface smoothed. What a punch in the nads. Anyway, I did notice that the mint mark appears to be doubled. Anyone care to tell me if that is a good thing, or if it doesn't really matter, due to the damage review?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These last photos show areas of possible smoothing better, sorry to say it's definitely going to be a details when that occurs. Still a really nice looking quarter.

I checked Briggs Seated quarter book again, definitely Obverse 1 Reverse A, the 8 is triple punched though very tough to see (Die state A says it is very faded and hard to tell), nothing mentioned on the mint mark doubling, but from it's position it's has to be Rev A, (Die State is not A on the reverse as that would imply the mint mark was worn to the point of being hard to see), the doubling could be some minor Strike Doubling. This coin does exhibit a touch of surface granulation which leads me to believe it came out of the "New Orleans Hoard" which were quarters known with dull and/or corroded surfaces. That would also explain a need to smooth the surface in areas in hopes of improving the eye appeal. Those coins were also known to be softly struck in the head, surrounding stars and dentils on the obverse.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59357 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that left obverse field does look suspicious.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, West! I appreciate the response! It's nice to see there are people with this level of knowledge about certain coin types.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the mint mark up close...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22431 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another whizzed coin. Your blow up of the mint mark clearly shows the brush pits.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05