Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Series 1963 $50 Star Note A Keeper Or A Spender?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 761Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4861 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  3:03 pm Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Relatively low serial number (00721210), decent condition and, of course, it's a star note.

On the other hand, it is a $50 note, which is a lot of money to tie up if it's only worth $52 or so, you know?

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO a spender. Close, but still a spender.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3327 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably worth a small premium to the right collector. Please message me if you decide to spend it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4861 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SteveinTampa: How "small" is a "small premium"?

I got this in a stack of bills I picked up at the bank to spend at a coin show I'm going to at the end of the month. I'll probably stick it at the bottom of the pile and if I don't end up using it I'll just stick it in a sleeve and hold onto it.

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun find, but I would have to spend it let Steve know when I need to liquidate.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU or CU yesssss....vf or so, I'd spend it. Most looking for a 1963A $50.00 aren't looking for a VF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3327 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How "small" is a "small premium"?

Approximately $20, give or take.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most collectors of high denomination small-size notes prefer them uncirculated. This had a print run of 320,000 and is still easily found in new condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4861 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SteveInTampa: That's plenty of premium for me!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2469 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the bill!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it would be a keeper unless I really needed 50 bucks to spend on something I could certainly count on appreciating better in value.

People buy them
eBay completed sales
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...H_Complete=1
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
07/15/2021 8:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2469 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heck they do buy them. But those are in better grades.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Due to the fact that it has a high face value, and if not in pristine condition, it has to be a spender, unfortunately.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4859 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pink writing on the right border makes it a spender for me
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoolBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm of the same opinion as Greasy Fingers on this one. The pink writing in the right margin makes it a spender. It's like Coinfrog pointed out, it's a low production note but there are plenty of new ones out there.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@SteveInTampa: That's plenty of premium for me!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 761Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05