Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1736 Ruble Identity, I Can Not Locate This Obv/Rev As A Pair

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 475Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  6:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zambeani to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently I acquired this 1736 Ruble except it doesn't match any obverse/reverse pairs I can find. Any help would be appreciated.

Learn More...
United States
20960 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@zam, first welcome to CCF. Second, can you please add the weight and dimensions of this piece? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you mean. It seems to be another variation of the Anna Poltina coin that isn't pictured in the usual places.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zambeani to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the welcome Spence. The diameter is about 1 3/4 inches. I don't have a scale but the weight seem to me to be in line with a 1900 British Trade dollar not very specific using my hand but that's all I have. I'll find someone to weigh as I know its important. I didn't post it but there is edge lettering to if that's helpful I can post
Learn More...
United States
20960 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right a weight is very important. Pics of the edge can be difficult to take, but please add them to this thread if you get some that turn out well.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5072 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send it back.
And don't buy from that seller again.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zambeani to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2021  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zambeani to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia....it was free. My first thought was that it's a counterfeit. Fun discussion at the least.
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't a type that I am familiar with, but a quick look at the details and this looks extremely fake. Almost no doubt in my mind that this is counterfeit. The details don't look aged or of the period, they look a bit sloppy and modern.

Good it was free, no losses there, but also no gains cuz this screams fake
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3388 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% fantasy scrap metal.

Everything about it is wrong. Edge does not have inscribe text.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5072 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, free is the right price!

To me, there might even be a little joke being played with this coin. Anna's profile looks East Asian to me (compare it with a real coin, and you will see this immediately).

Pillar of the Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very obvious counterfeit... study up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5225 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zambeani

I can only add my agreement to the sentiment that the coin is a recently made numismatic forgery and absolutely worthless - except for the pleasure it might give you.

I am a collector of counterfeits that were made to circulate alongside genuine issues and I have been an authenticator since the mid-1970s. In my collection of over 10,000 fakes I have many counterfeits and quite a few numismatic forgeries. I think they are all actually more fun than genuine coins.

Finding a mule of two sides that do not belong together is fun to me. I have a couple dozen made from dies that were from different countries. Some are very foolish with an obverse of a European coin 200 years old with the reverse of a 50 year old coin from the Americas.

One thing is certain numismatic forgeries are very common and also worthless. So have fun with them. They can be handled without worry you might damage them. Show them to kids - use them to teach others.

Only one warning - when you encounter a coin that is not genuine make sure it is a worthless forgery and not a rare counterfeit. A coin dealer I had known for only a short while had carved a pirate face over Charles IV on a Mexican 8 Reales which was an unknown variety with the wrong date for his reign and which was made with a technology only used between 1785 and 1840. It was a fantastic find. I would have gladly paid him over $200 for that coin, but after his pirate alterations and the holes he drilled for suspension on a chain along with grinding and antique toning, he had made it worthless. Nice conversation piece but no longer a valuable piece of history.

You have the beginnings of a new collection in your hands.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-.../1500497177/ or from me directly if you want it signed.
Germany
4 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Johann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have collected Russian silver for decades.Then I had to stop because they fake everything,in Russia, Eastern Europe, China, India.
eBay is full of fakes.
In short, forget Imperial Russia unless you are really an expert.
Good luck.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 475Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05