Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1951 D Lightweight Lincoln

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 356Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  11:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin has me wondering. A 1951 D that is noticeably a lightweight.
My scale on "normal" pennies registers .108 to .114 but this guy comes in at .063. And there is too much detail for it to have been a dryer coin.
Thoughts? And thanks

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Caused by a bath in acid.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The circumference is close to normal but the coin is thinner and obviously lightweight. How could an acid bath make the whole coin thinner?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11970 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  12:16 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid eats away the metal and the majority of the surface area is obverse/reverse instead of edge so the thickness will decrease more noticeably than the diameter. I hope that makes sense.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks makes sense but then why isn't the bust affected as much?
And dare I ask why? And yes I realize you probably have no idea why many people do many crazy things!?!?
Learn More...
United States
20566 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why many people do many crazy things!?!?

Science experiment?
Trying to make a cent into a dime to try to cheat a bubble gum machine?
Too cloudy to use a magnifying glass to melt your plastic soldiers?

Your guess is as good as ours...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5308 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, people are quite creative--and adventuresome--when it comes to 'altering' things. May have even been an unintended exposure to acid in a lab or industrial shop back in the 50s. If only coins could talk.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  07:50 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If coins could talk we wouldn't need this site. LOL. Pictures are pretty blurry so I can't see the details. There is also a tapered planchet and yours looks thin on the right obverse.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If only coins could talk.

They would be SCREAMING!!!

Good thing they can't talk, it would be a very noisy world...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53364 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, Acid bath:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks! Sound like a acid tripper is the consensus. Why is a crap shoot. And yes I realized on the reduced pics that the photos were blurry. I'll try to fix that.
And yes the panther is thin which is the most noticeable part. At nearly half the weight, I would think the coin would be more like Coop's specimen.
Thanks foe the help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05