Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Geographic Distribution Of US Coin Roll Hunters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5308 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  11:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would be interesting (and instructive?) to have an idea of where coin roll hunting takes place across the US--how searchers are spread across the country. Of course, there are likely more roll searchers (higher density of 'em) in the greater Philadelphia-New York-Boston metro region, than in Reno-Sparks. Would be fun to see a map with the density of searchers displayed. Might offer some curious patterns, and also suggest where coins are constantly being (re)cycled through multiple searchers over time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4231 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it would, but how could you find this out? Also, while there undoubtedly more in the region you stated, there are probably more coins there. The density of collectors compared to the volume of coins would, I think, be the more relevant statistic. That way, if some areas are comparatively undersearched, you could go there!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5308 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, there are many variables--and assumptions (some valid, some not). Imagine someone getting into roll hunting in Duluth, MN--how would they approach roll gathering if they knew that 30 other searchers were active within a 15 mile radius of Duluth-Superior? Just a hypothetical. There's no real way to know where searchers are actually located--just a fun thing to consider.
Edited by ijn1944
08/02/2021 12:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im in southeast ky so I guess I will start the list
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in Southeastern Wisconsin, near (15 minutes) away from Lake Geneva, WI.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in central Minnesota. Almost all rolls are locally recycled. Rarely does our bank get new rolls.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
586 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in Southwest Virginia and have been searching various denominations for about ten years. It's been fun to find reoccurring varieties and errors here.
-makecents-
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I've not been a roll searcher for many, many years, I took early retirement and moved to central Arkansas a few years ago and I'm thinking about starting up again. I'm in an area that has a large number of retired folks (I think the median age in my town of 14,000 people is around 68 or so), so I'm thinking I need to start checking out the local banks for rolls of half dollars and such.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5308 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a teller share stories about middle aged people dumping rolls at bank branches in communities where the median age was on the high side. The rolls would come in after aged parents/uncles/aunts passed away. Family members would roll coins they found as property was organized and disposed of. The teller came across all kinds of interesting things--silver, foreign, boatloads of pre 40s wheat cents, etc.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in northeast Georgia and primarily search pennies and nickels.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1545 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in south florida, everything drifts here eventually. LOL
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnsolaris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I live in Texas, just east of Dallas.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4191 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lower Mich, I've roll hunted from banks in Michigan's northern Upper Penninsula to as far south as Tennessee.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05