Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Near Complete Morgan Business Strike Set. Where To Go From Here?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 652Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  1:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I only have four Morgan's left to go to complete my Morgan business strike set. Plus 2 over dates I view as optional. I know I'm the master of my collection but I'm beginning to wrestle with selling duplicates to upgrade or upgrade more slowly and enjoy the duplicates. The set is probably 80% to 90% mint state. I've accumulated over 200 duplicates of which 75% are mint state.
What would/have you done?
I'm not an investor. I just enjoy the coins for their history and beauty so a part of me feels every coin has a story and I like having a lot of them. On the other hand it is nice having high grade coins that are certified that my family can easily liquidate on day?
Opinions please.
Learn More...
United States
21373 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a pretty cool achievement.

Time to move back in time and put together a Seated Liberty Silver Dollar set?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3281 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the, IMO, overly inflated hyped market of Morgan's right now, it's a good sellers market. That said, I just sold off some of my duplicates and ones that I just didn't really "enjoy" to free up some funds for other coins that I do enjoy. So for me, I'd keep the ones I enjoy and can't live without, and part with the rest.

The way I look at it (I'm sure I'll get some crap for it) Morgan's have always sold for more than they should. Popularity has created the demand, not rarity. More recently, this has been exaggerated. That said, you can sell now.. down road those Morgan's will always be there bc the market will always be flooded with them. And they could very possibly be less than they are now.

And of course, congrats on quite the undertaking and accomplishment on almost finishing this series!

Time for Buffalo nickels?
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty2020b
Thanks for your solid advice!
I do wonder if the new Morgan's are continued if the values have peaked. They may become even more popular over the next few years.
Buffalos are on my radar &
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3281 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really no way of telling, especially when it comes to Morgan's. They have always been among the numismatic favorites and will likely continue to be.

Also, feel free to post some pics of the set!
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to figure out how to post. I have some raw dollars I'm not sure if I should send in for grading. I have difficulty at times determining the difference between AU 58 and choice unc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you need help consider posting them in the grading forum. I would start on seated or Barber quarters.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5386 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me I'd grab my Red Book, sit back and page through it until something affordable grabbed my eye.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8534 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
KANGA-If it were me I'd grab my Red Book, sit back and page through it until something affordable grabbed my eye.

That is some solid advice right there. It is definitely a sellers market right now. Prices are solid and climbing for better coins. Unfortunately that makes it even more expensive for the types of coins I want to get into.

My new found love in coins has come about through the Colonial and pre-Federal era types. Nothing is cheap, not even the research books, the club membership and knowledge shared in the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4 group is amazing though and everyone is very welcoming.

This is an area in U.S. numismatics "they" say all collectors will gravitate to and have an interest in as well as wanting to know more about, the longer one collects and studies coins, "they" were correct on my part, I have been consumed with reading and researching colonials over the past couple of years (really since the pandemic began and I've spent a lot more alone time). There are so many coins I will never be able to afford, and many I can, but really now, what's cooler than holding a coin in hand that very likely passed though Washington's, Jefferson's or a signer of the Declaration own hands during a financial transaction? The ULTIMATE in cool for me.

But I digress, find your own interest and remember to have fun!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
08/23/2021 11:04 am
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sounds like a pretty cool achievement.

Quote:
Time to move back in time and put together a Seated Liberty Silver Dollar set?
Not a bad idea. Pricey though!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, congratulations on your accomplishment that sounds like will be completed shortly. In my opinion, your duplicates at the moment are holding you back from deriving even more pleasure from our wonderful hobby. The first decision you make is the easier one - I suggest you sell your duplicates, and use the proceeds to enable you to get new pleasures, with choices as follows:

1. You can use those proceeds to upgrade some of the coins you have in your set. Depending on the grade of each coin, some of them can probably be upgraded a grade or two (or perhaps slightly more) at relatively low cost to a coin not only in a higher grade, but perhaps a coin that YOU feel also has much greater eye appeal.

2. If #1 above doesn't entice you, then consider what kanga suggested above. Rather than listening to our own individual preferences (including mine shown in #4 below), look through a Red Book for a series that catches your eye both aesthetically and historically that is achievable in the grades you'd like that's within your budget, that's challenging, but also achievable. Pick something that YOU'LL find fun and interesting!

3. If you do pick a series, it's ok to do just a DATE set of that series, where you just get ONE coin for each date. This way, costs can be kept down, as fewer coins are needed, and if you want, you can avoid the dates with particular mint marks that are too expensive. In return, you can then buy coins in higher grades with nicer eye appeal, or some other feature, such as Lincoln Cents that are RED, or Standing Liberty quarters that have FULL HEADS!

4. My final suggestion is that rather than start a series of a particular coin, start a Type Set, which is what I and many others have chosen to do. Talk about variety (not the numismatic term), the ability to learn so much, the flexibility, and most important just the fun of having one nice example of each coin design made! Take a peek at the hotlink in my auto-signature, NOT for the quality/grades of my coins (I swim towards the deeper end of the pool), but for the beauty of the coins themselves, and the variety of designs. Keep in mind YOU decide what coins should comprise YOUR Type Set, based on your budget. Dansco 7070 is just one of many ways to go, and even that can be done including gold coins, or without any gold coins.

Happy Hunting!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
08/24/2021 01:44 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next step is an MS set of Walkers, preferably all with full luster. Difficult, but not impossible to complete.
They would be just as much of an eye catcher as your Morgan set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2465 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LCS just picked up a 93s Morgan. It's not mint state. It was part of a bulk buy. It will not go cheap.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
93-s is one I need. Also 88-s, 90-cc and 92-cc.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: