Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 P Dime, Collar Clash + Mad + Rim Fin. Worth Anything?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,224Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  08:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this guy today after going through some dimes, there is a clear collar clash and MAD and rim fin. I was wondering if these guys are worth anything or just a fun 10 find?

First time I've ever found a collar clash, I saw this exact coin in another thread but not sure if it s a error worth anything.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So looks like these don't hold much if any premium, but are not common so a nice find if it is what I think it is:)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the fin is flattened. They are very thin and probably get flattened during coin wrapping:

But it is a collar clash example.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to get some better pics a collar clash appears on one or both sides of a coin?

Also I realized I posted the fin pic and not the collar clash at 9-10 o'clock and but it also looks like a collar clash at 9-10 o'clock on the revers
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/07/2021 09:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the image of an affected die only showed on side of the die affected:

The off center coins are not related to the retired dies images. This die was defaced totally on the face of the die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun find, as far as added value (IMO) very little. Always nice to have 1 in ones collection. Also odd (to me) how the clash is showing on opposite sides of the coin, seems I've only seen them on one side. Could it be a double clash if that is a "think"?...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@greasyfingers, ya I saw that as well I'll find this little guy and post some close ups of that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could it be a double clash?

Interesting thought? Maybe if it could be caused by Machine Doubling after the strike altering the die? Might have Mike look at this?
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
2090 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collar clash affecting more than one pole is rare, but not unprecedented. It simply means that, at one point in time, the obverse (hammer) die was misaligned toward the left and, at another time, was misaligned toward the right. During both misaligned intervals, the hammer die collided with the top of the collar or scraped down the latter's working face. As far as finning goes, I really don't see it. If there is a fin, it's insignificant. The present misalignment is also too minor to merit the label "error". This coin is definitely worth keeping, at least for its instructional value.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fin is folded over, and yes it is fairly small, the close up picture I posted is the fin folded over not the railroad rim, and I don't think the opposite side has collar clash ill take a look though.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a better shot of the rim fin photo#2 and the actual collar clash#1

The rim fin was fairly large around the coin before it was flattened. You can still see underneath the fin in most spots so it's not fully pressed into the coin.

Has anyone ever tried to unfold a rim fin?

Sorry had the photos labels backwards lol
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/09/2021 3:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2090 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still don't see a fin. All I see is the serrated boundary between the edge of the design rim proper and metal that squeezed past the outer edge of the die's rim gutter. A fin must be clearly elevated above the outer edge of the design rim.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you not see it? To me it's a clear folded over rim fin in photo 2. The metal has gaps between where it was folded over due to circulation and it's clearly above the normal rim that you can see it has folded over top of.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/09/2021 3:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2090 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no evidence of a folded-over fin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

you can clearly see a second "folded rim" over top of the first one. It be nice to have someone else chime in to confirm. And anyways the rim fin is the less exciting part of the coin to me compared to the collar clash, a rim fin isn't really a special error, iv found several. It's basically like finding heavy MD on a Canadian coin(just as rare)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2113 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also if this isn't a rim fin then it would be a double clashm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 1,224Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: