Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are MS Coins With Whizzing Doomed To AU Status

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3100 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  02:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do coins with features of an MS 63 (luster, cartwheel, grade, no wear etc) become automatically disqualified to a lower grade MS(MS-62,61 or 60) as a result of having whizzing marks (light or heavier)?

In a nutshell, does any degree of whizzing prevent coins from getting any MS grade?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS coins that are whizzed are doomed. Full stop.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are no longer MS coins and are considered damaged coins. The damage cannot be reversed.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the others have said, it's no longer an MS-6X coin, now it's an "Unc Details" coin. Once whizzed (irreparably damaged) a coin is no longer "Mint State" but it can have "Uncirculated Detail" referring to a lack of wear prior to its damage
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
United States
5905 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all above.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62801 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same. Whizzing prevents a coin from getting a numerical grade.
Learn More...
United States
35804 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whizzing is a type of intentional "damage" intended to make the coin look better. Once damaged, it can not be "undamaged".
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4417 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It severely damages the coin and, in most cases, will reduce it to way below AU value. For most issues, melt value. For a very rare coin, it would knock an AU or MS coin down to G-6 or VG-8 prices. Personally I'd rather have a clean G6 than a whizzed AU coin.
Edited by fenton
09/10/2021 12:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3281 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just mentioned my opinion about this on a different topic the other day. IMO, I feel like if a coin has received any type of abrasive cleaning.polished, whizzed, etc., it should automatically bump it down to AU Details. A coin that has naturally been lightly circulated, has light wear at the high points and broken luster is AU58. So why should a coin with the same end result but was done intentionally "whizzed" "harshly cleaned" be any different? It's still the same end result. A coin should be graded based on its current condition not "well this was mint state until someone went to town with rotary tool". Well that AU58 was also MS before it saw very slight circulation . That said, that's just my opinion, and I'm probably the minority on the topic. TPG's are more than willing to hand out UNC Details grades for whizzed examples, and I feel, they do so a bit too freely.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unc details or AU details may not matter for the actual selling price. A prospective buyer would look at the coin and assess how bad the whizzing was and how much to discount it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22900 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually they are AU coins whizzed to mimic MS. It puts an artificial chartwheel luster on the surfaces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with indian gold eagle
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: