Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unique Kennedy I Found Any Ideas (1967 Half Dollar)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 316Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grafixfrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this unusual variation in a Kennedy. It is not a post damage error this was actually stamped on the coin I have never seen this or have any idea how or what could have deposited it in that place on the coin like to hear some ideas not to mention looks like 666 lol.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage - likely from the reeded edge of another coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appear to be reeding divots--post strike damage. Large and sharp images of the obverse and reverse would be very welcome. Thanks.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something damaged the die. If you look at the devices you can see they are starting to spread in width. This is showing die ware and at that point anything can happen.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sirguardian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Something damaged the die

I don't think so. This coin is damaged. The die that created the coin did not have that anomaly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The difference between die damage and coin damage?
1. On die damage, there would be an incuse mark on the die. This transfers to the coin as a raised area on the coin.

2. Damage on a coin will be incuse on the coin. To if the marks are incuse (damage into the surface of the coin) it is not a die issue, but damage to the coin. We often see incuse marks of damage on coins:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming these are incuse, then reeding divots seems the logical answer.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4142 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damage. End of story.
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gra, first welcome to CCF. Second, can you please confirm that these marks are raised above the coin field? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
grafixgrh: to the CCF!

Thanks for the good quality pictures.

Very far from unique, unfortunately.
If fact, it is arguably the most common single form of coin damage.
It is the result of freshly minted coins, after ejection from the coining press
dropping through some height onto a pile of other freshly minted coins.

It can be rightly considered that it is damage sustained during the minting process. However, this sort of damage is is not regarded as an error by most collectors.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15872 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Assuming these are incuse, then reeding divots seems the logical answer.

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I would like to know if the marks are raised or incuse. That makes a big difference to post mint damage or something like die chips.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grafixfrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes raised above surface same material, height as strike is part of the coin like 3 brail dots. I just know of no die used on coin to make it. The coin is actually in nice condition.

Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going out on a limb here but I believe these 'lumps' of additional metal are possibly some type of silver solder. This coin looks nice and it could have been in a jewelry shop at one point as a candidate for placement in a bezel or something of the sort and inadvertently had solder drop onto it. I don't think it ever made it into bezel or there would be damage to the edge and/or rim. There appears to be circles of discoloration around each one of the lumps on the field of the coin. This, IMHO, would be consistent with hot molten solder dripping on the fields of this coin and sticking and causing the discoloration. I would just about bet that with enough force you could pick or push these little lumps off of the surface of the coin. That is if they aren't die chips, but they just don't look to me to fit the part for your normal die chip. Just my take here......
Edited by Bumpkin
09/11/2021 3:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6852 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please, no screen shots of your computer. Pics too small to see much detail and too pixilated if you blew them up. From what I see, looks like post mint damage ( PMD).

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05