Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 D Quarter Need Help With An Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 771Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  6:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What kind of error is this? Looks like improper annealing but I'm not sure. Thanks for any info

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like stains on the roll stock. The roll stock is not perfect. Probably didn't get a good burnishing to remove it:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was another similar post a few weeks ago. The op said he was going to submit them. I wonder if they ever did? And coop might be right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop and Willburton. What kind of staining would this be? Grease or something else. All the areas in question have striations lines only in the burnt looking parts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they were from an original roll, they are probably stained metal. If they are from circulation, someone could have altered them. Try checking new rolls of All new coins. That will tell if if this is normal or something special. But in original rolls you still have bad ones in them. It is the better ones to save. The rest, then them do the work they were created for. Making change and working in vending machines. The mint is just into it, to make money. (pun intended)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2469 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Staining.
Learn More...
United States
20601 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If these had circulated at all then I think it would most likely just be surface staining.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obw rolls
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence. I'm still uncertain about what kind of staining would be created at the mint. There were some that had grease on them but those could be wiped off. These I couldn't remove anything and the ones with grease didn't have the striations
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the planchets were left in the oven too long. Hope these pictures change opinions from staining to annealing

Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured that if for whatever reason the planchets got piled up in the oven trying to meet production or something and the temperature was off with the different variations some light some dark that if I found one from the top that one would be black. I just found this one and I think it's the best one

Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a theory I could be wrong
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those crescent shapes on the coins lead me to believe something like that has occurred. They seem to have the same arch as a quarter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Willburton. I'm going to have some of the more extreme ones graded. I was tossing them back until I noticed some were severely cooked and I liked the look of them
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found around 11 very similar to these a few months ago in a brand new box of uncirculated coins and posted the photos on the forums. I did send a couple off to be graded. They are currently showing a status of Grading/Quality control. Hopefully I get them back in a few weeks. I will post the results as soon as they are back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks MrBreeze. I'll see if I can find your post
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 771Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05