Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957-D LWC - I Finally Found A Great Error Coin - Interior Die Break

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 310Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  10:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK! I found a very nice error (should it be called an error?)
This coin has a die chip on both the 9 and 5 of the date and the 'T' on the reverse.
AND, a cracked skull? Looks like a retained interior die break - Shattered actually. I would think that the die would have been retired very soon after the striking of this coin. It looks like the hammer die is broken into many pieces.

Edited by Dearborn
09/12/2021 11:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
606 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a cracked skull and die chips for sure. Nice find. Good looking coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed a triple play, but these issues on the late wheats are so common as to hardly command a premium in my experience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but these issues on the late wheats are so common as to hardly command a premium in my experience.

That's ok, I'm not worried about what it is worth, this coin is going into my error album (an album I now need to create)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3652 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great one in very nice condition. Nice find! And I agree, a lot of these types of coins don't really generate much of a premium, but the idea is to collect them for their neat-o factor and not worry about a price tag. Yours is a showy one, a real win.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40856 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find, congrats.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic '57 D with chips and cracks. I have a dozen or so of these in AU+ to low MS condition. That die was giving its all, right to the (bitter) end.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd call that a Klingon Skull. LOL But considering the last decade of wheat cents, they are pretty common as they way over used the dies. They squeezed every cent out of these dies, until the dies, died.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some members of the Denver mint staff had likely set up a pool to predict when the die in question (for '57 D mint run) was going to expire.
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good looking coin, nice find
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2297 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like RIDB-1c-1957D-16.

Really nice find!
Edited by fortcollins
09/13/2021 11:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
919 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking RIDB!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks everyone.
Looking at this coin, would you say the the dies were heavily worn out prior to it breaking up?
I mean, I'm really not seeing any sign of MD or ridging around the rim. This v]coin did not really see much circulation and is not worn down much. the date looks sharp, as well as the lettering.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NICE! That's a keeper
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53449 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many die cracks can be found on a Wheat cent obverse? I found 9 on one once:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 310Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05