Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The One Set You May Still Build From Circulation All The Way To The 30's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The one type of coin I still get in change that dates back to the thirties is the Jefferson nickel. I got a 1942-d jefferson in change the other day and occasionally get a War Nickel. I often get 40's and 50's nickels in change so with some effort I think you could almost complete a collection of jeffersons. I know you could complete sets of
more modern coins . But you get the idea? Agree or disagree? Is there a denomination I missed besides memorials?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7221 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completely agree.

I spent several years searching nickel rolls from my local bank and did indeed complete the entire Jefferson nickel series date & mm set at face value.

Takes a lot of patience - but it can be done. Here is my 2015 thread full of data when I completed the search at 320,800 nickels searched:

http://goccf.com/t/198187
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5328 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have three full sets built from circulation. The fourth set is about 95% complete--just plugging along.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3778 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The flip side of is that you can buy a complete set of Jefferson's for $40-50, so do it for the thrill of the hunt, not the monetary gain.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even now you'll go through lots of 1964 nickels, but a complete set can be found. Omit the lower mintage dates and you can probably complete an AU and up set as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phase 1. One of the easiest collections to start is take a coin of every date, mm, design and denomination out of circulation from pocket change.
Phase 2. When new additions become few and far between, get into coin roll hunting. Include all obvious error coins.
Phase 3. When further new additions become few and far between, start looking on eBay with a low budget.
Phase 4. With American coins, it would be good to extend your collection by date back as far as you can to the earliest.

That is what I have done with Australian coins, 1966 (when Australian coinage was decimalized), to current.
I have included all commemoratives issued into circulation.
I am now 6 years into this project. I have no intention of getting into phase 2, 3, or 4.
Several hundred coins so far.
Total cost? - face value only.

Upgrading along the way will become necessary.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agree or disagree?
Agreed.

There are few Jefferson nickels that are tough to find, but the 1950-D might be the toughest. Tough, but not impossible. Many have been found and reported here on CCF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
554 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is what Robfindstreasure on youtube is currently doing, coin roll hunting bank boxes to see how many nickels it takes to complete a set.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completely agree.

I spent several years searching nickel rolls from my local bank and did indeed complete the entire Jefferson nickel series date & mm set at face value.

Takes a lot of patience - but it can be done. Here is my 2015 thread full of data when I completed the search at 320,800 nickels searched:

http://goccf.com/t/198187

I must admit I really enjoyed reading your posts on searching coin rolls. Surprisingly I am a math teacher and fully appreciate and commend you for such detailed statistics. That is a truly amazing story at least for me. Maybe you could figure out the statistical probability (not really) of finding someone as determined as you were and apparently still are. This is truly impressive and I mean that! This makes me want to see how much of the series I could complete. However one collection at a time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree, spending hours searching rolls to complete a $50 set makes no sense.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18972 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A different approach:-

How becoming a small 's' silver stacker?
By that, I mean buying 90% dimes for a percentage x Face?

Some advantages to this strategy:
You get the greatest number of silver coins for each dollar invested,
You can can examine each of them them closely for a) die variations, and b) errors,
You can build a date / mm set,

If you end up with hundreds, or even thousands of them, you can pick out the very best of them for a higher level of numismatic investment.

You can always recycle some of the money you have invested by selling unwanted silver at multiple x face, at a time when the silver spot price is advantageous to you.

Edited by sel_69l
09/14/2021 9:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1942 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Must agree, spending hours searching rolls to complete a $50 set makes no sense.

Folks, Let's remember that coin collecting is a hobby and many, many of us collectors started out searching pocket change and rolls to fill our blue Whitman folders. If we didn't enjoy it, we probably wouldn't do it. You also have to be open to the fact that you will find more than "just a set of Jefferson nickels" as you search.
Along with the 4 complete sets I found, another 4-1939D's, 1271 War Nickels and 3- 1939 DDR's. Then there's the 7-8 rolls of full date buffaloes (some better dates like 1927S & 1931S) & countless rolls of partial & no dates. My oldest find was a 1883 with cents. For a novice collector, or somebody wanting to get their kids interested in the hobby, nickels are worthy of searching.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is the journey, not the destination.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For a novice collector, or somebody wanting to get their kids interested in the hobby, nickels are worthy of searching.

I agree completely, ratman.
Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Choose your words, for they become actions.
Understand your actions, for they become habits.
Study your habits, for they become your character.
Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny.

ANA Member since 2007.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Searching nickels is better than pennies because the cent should have been long gone from circulation.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Searching nickels is better than pennies because the cent should have been long gone from circulation."

Although you are 100% percent correct, it is my opinion that most Americans just won't let go of the penny for what ever reason. Look on the ground at any store ,school, fast food joint and you will see pennies everywhere. No respect for money, I always pick them up and put in a jar and every year I have around 20 dollars (although this includes nickels, dimes and quarters). From there I redeem and purchase scratch tickets and always with no luck
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05