Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Grading Australian 1960 Proof Sixpence 6 D

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Australia
15 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  04:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone would be able to give me some help grading my 1960 sixpence?
I have some concerns with the very large fingerprint on the obverse, the nick after 'gratia', and the scratch between the 'N' & 'A' of 'Regina'. The somewhat 'weak' strike on 'advance australia' also brings up some problems for me, but I'll leave that to the experts to decide. The rest of the coin is pretty much problem-free.

Do you think it's a proof variant, and if so, what grade do you think this would receive?

Many thanks,

Coinanthebarbarian

I am happy to provide more images if needed.

Australia
15 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what happened to the image quality.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19006 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree; image quality is too poor for accurate grading,
and if a proof or not in any condition.

However, all is not lost.
Go to Google Images, and search:
'1960 Australian proof Sixpence'.

A proof sixpence should be exceptionally well struck and best seen in the details of the emu's head and feathers.
All of the feathers should be easily seen under moderate magnification.

Also Google search for non proof Australian Sixpences in high MS++ (choice or gem), (not PF++), condition.
Spend some time to learn and consider carefully, and hopefully, you should be able to come up with an accurate grade opinion for yourself, and also have a good idea it it is a proof or not. Your comment about "weak strike" on 'Advance Australia' suggests that it is not a proof.

Spend some time comparing your coin with those found on Google images.

You never know, you may end up being the expert yourself, and have acquired a lot more confidence in grading for yourself, rather than relying Third Party Grading. That has to be a good thing!
Australia
15 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hopefully these aren't as blurry.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19006 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a bit blurry - the images come out at 9 inches diameter on my screen monitor.
Emu's back feathers are all there, but the faint 'ADVANCE AUSTRALIA' makes certain that it is not a proof coin.

Need much sharper pictures to give a 'GEM' grading - just guesswork to accurately grade above
Ch. Unc (MS-64), but I am not really happy with using Sheldon grading on non U.S. coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
674 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Emu's back feathers are all there, but the faint 'ADVANCE AUSTRALIA' makes certain that it is not a proof coin.

Yes,all the feathers seem ok but the base of the cocked leg doesn't seem Ok.
Along with the vague strike of 'Ädvance Australia'I'm not sure what to make of this Coin.
Others that know more than me will probably be along to offer an opinion.
Australia
15 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I've had some mixed opinions on this coin.
Many people have thought it's a proof while others have thought its a regular business strike.

Do you think it would be worth sending off to a TPG service to let the pros check it out, or is it not worth it because it's most likely only a $AUD10 coin if it's not a PR?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1095 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  02:23 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, not worth unless you looking to keep it in a plastic case, since shipping makes it probably to costly I would say $25 per coin standard. I would say unless you can get Top MS grades its definitely not worth bothering unless you want to handle it a lot e.g display to customers. Just thought about it yeah there isn't much cameo effect on the Australian (pre-decimal) proof coins.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2965 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a few scratches and fingerprints on the coin. Generally hazy appearance and weak strike evident on the "Advance Australia" logo, no way a coin struck this badly is a proof.

However in the positives can't really see any wear on it, although the star above the shield is weak. I would say its Uncirculated, maybe Choice Uncirculated. Not bad but nothing too special as 1960 is a common date.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
774 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2021  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sixpence looks better than ChUnc. I'd also have to disagree with Princetane about 1960 being a common date (common in circulated grades but scarce in high grade). 2 weeks ago an example in MS65 sold for $54 and last month a MS66 sold for $250 (and that was an underpriced BIN that sold before I had a chance to buy it), in MS66 they are worth around $300.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05