Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First 1936 NFLD SP Ever Graded By ICCS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 373Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4786 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:49 pm Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a real treat. The 1936 newfoundland specimen cent is a major rarity in the Newfoundland series. PCGS has graded just 3, BUT of those 3 only one appears to be SP with the other two obviously being much different from these coins... I'd say fairly confidently that the SP64+RD and SP65RB in their pop report are just misattributed mint States, while the SP66RD is essentially identical in appearance to this coin. It's not too rare for PCGS to make a mistake like this.

I sent this coin in with a one week turnaround and when I went to the ICCS office to pick up my submission, Scott Cornwall was more excited to discuss this coin than I've seen with any other piece I've brought in. He immediately let me know my suspicions about the coin's specimen status were accurate and praised the coin's incredibly well struck finer details and interesting finish. Considering grading coins all day is his job and he's seen so so many cool things, It was quite awesome to see him so excited and it was even cooler to be able to submit an issue that has eluded their holders since they opened in the 1980s.

This is such a beautiful coin, and really quite an amazing rarity. As the above mentioned pops indicate, this is one of only two coins I've seen that I'd be comfortable calling a specimen.

From certain angles this coin shows intense die polish while from other angles a soft cameo is present...and all protected under that classic RCM lacquering.

I've had fun enjoying it and studying it, but I think since it doesn't fit my main focus I shall search for a new home for this coin.

feel free to call me Will. I'm a 21 year old collector/dealer from the Greater Toronto area

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1140 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool; thanks for sharing Will, always love seeing your specimen specimens
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19151 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SP most probably achieved by more than one strike, to bring up all of the design detail from fresh dies. Coin pictured certainly shows all of the fine design detail.

However, I do notice a couple of 'carbon' spots on rim, on and behind King's neck, and top of his shoulder.

I have experimented with lacquering of high MS coins, by spraying them with several coats of clear acrylic lacquer.
This preserves the red or blast white original unpatinated surfaces. The only problem I found was the possibility of the clear coat chipping. To prevent this, I found it necessary to lock the coin in a close fitting screw seal acrylic capsule.

Perhaps a TPG re grade may help it, if for no other reason that it would be better protected inside an acrylic slab. A a bonus you may get a higher grade than SP-MS-65. Grading companies are a bit easier these days for TPG's to be tempted to gain more business from slightly more generous gradings.

If it was mine, I would have it in a positive air tight screw seal acrylic capsule, to best maintain the red. The coin's exceptional condition and strike quality will speak for itself.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61751 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful specimen for sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05