Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ok, Sure Could Use Some Opinions About This 1878 P Morgan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 293Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  5:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin is up for auction and the obverse looks to be about VF-35 while the reverse looks sorta like AU-50, but that grade is sort of irrelevant, it's what's going on under the wreath on the reverse? Is this some rare bird? (no pun intended). It's up for auction and right now the price is low but I don't have a clue what this is and if this helps or hurts value, desirable or never mind. I just have no clue.

Opinions appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3236 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like someone used a punch or maybe started to drill a hole once or twice. The displaced metal has been flattened some, so it looks to have circulated for a time after this was done.

It's not something I would want to see on my coins. No premium for PMD.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
1537 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honest advice: stay away from this coin.
Edited by NumisEd
09/21/2021 6:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
20829 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes looks like damage to me too.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pass on this coin, please.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3068 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I appreciate the opinions. When I posted this here I never even thought it could be PMD, but now that this idea seems to be the consensus, I'll just leave this coin at the auction for someone else. I thought it might have been something special .............HaHa on me. Thanks all ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually I too would stay away from a coin that has that kinda damage, but Id try to check it against vamworld.com to see if it is some kind of special VAM of the 7 tail feathers varieties... Then if it is a special VAM, I'll buy it, damage and all
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10657 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats an odd one. if you look close at that mark it looks raised not sunk in which I would think means that it was struck like that. on first view I thought boy that looks like a messed up CC mint mark. who knows.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The inside of the circle looks deeper, so I suspect the start of a drilled hole with displaced metal that was flattened and stayed attached to the surface. Agree with damage.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05