Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Bridgeport, CT Centennial - Cousin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 195Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6525 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  3:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In 1936, as Bridgeport celebrated the centennial of its founding in 1836, the city's Chamber of Commerce sponsored a exposition/exhibition of local manufacturers and other businesses. The exposition was held within the buildings of the Remington Arms Company (a major manufacturer of guns and ammunition in Bridgeport at the time) between May 15 and 23, 1936.

The event was definitely a local business-focused fair; it did not include a midway with games and rides or a variety of live entertainment options. Instead, local vendors such as the Acme Shear Company, Bridgeport Brass, Crawford Laundry Company, Hoffman Fuel and Murphy's Signs had exhibit booths for their wares and/or services. Visitors also had the chance to see multiple wards of the Bridgeport Hospital, a dental clinic (with patients), an active high school classroom (with students) and a reproduction of an old-time nickelodeon (i.e., early motion picture theater). Also on display were replicas of a selection of freaks and oddities - human and animal - whose original/living versions were included by PT Barnum in his shows. The Exposition also included displays of live manufacturing of many of the products produced in Bridgeport at the time.

The Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce produced a commemorative medal for its Exposition; the Chamber did not sponsor the commemorative half dollar, the coin was sponsored by Bridgeport Centennial, Incorporated.

The medal's obverse, depicting a kneeling male figure reading a page labelled "HISTORY", is meant to symbolize the accomplishment's of Bridgeport during its first century. Behind the central figure is a parallel "Then (1836) and Now (1936)" scene of Bridgeport ('Then" is the top scene.). The reverse design featuring a female figure seated on a blank page while holding a quill pen is meant to represent Bridgeport's still-to-be-written future.

The medal was designed by Alice Harvey, a local high school student; it was produced by the local Jennings Brothers Manufacturing Company - a producer of fine metal crafts such as bookends, candlesticks, clocks, figurines, flatware, jewelry boxes and picture frames. Mintage was specified as being limited to 2,500. (The leaflet that accompanied the medal [shown below] has additional information.)

I've seen reference to the medal being silver, but I believe it is actually a base metal piece with a silver wash; the medal is 70 millimeters in diameter. Also, my medal is edge-marked "1" but I doubt very much it is the first of the medals produced; it wouldn't surprise me to learn that all such medal have a "1" on their edge.

IMO, the medal does not rise to the level of the coin in artistic merit, but it does make a nice supplement to the Bridgeport half dollar.

1936 Bridgeport Centennial Exposition Medal

1936 Bridgeport Centennial Half Dollar

For more on the Bridgeport half dollar, check out:

- 1936 Bridgeport, CT Centennial
- 1936 Bridgeport, CT Centennial - Revisited

For other of my posts on commemorative coins and medals, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/24/2021 3:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, good read. Love that Deco eagle!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the design is a little bit crude (but, hey, it was done by a high school junior!), that's an interesting supplement to your commemorative collection. Thanks for sharing!
I've always liked the Bridgeport commemorative - not only does it have a portrait of P.T. Barnum on the obverse, but that's a great art deco eagle on the reverse!
Edited by hokiefan_82
09/25/2021 11:40 am
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion the Bridgeport commem is extremely attractive. That medal, though, doesn't really have much appeal to me -- was the lettering sloppily done on purpose? The side that says "vision" looks like the figure is about to poke their eye out with the feather!
Edited by jimbucks
09/24/2021 5:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7269 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats s really nice cousin for your collection. Thanks for sharing,
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6525 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That medal, though, doesn't really have much appeal to me -- was the lettering sloppily done on purpose? The side that says "vision" looks like the figure is about to poke their eye out with the feather!

I agree that the medal is not the best example of medallic art - but I cut it some slack because it was done by a Bridgeport high school student, not a professional artist. I know that I can't do better, so I limit my criticism.

I've been told by artists/sculptors that people's faces are difficult to render (especially the eyes) and that uniform sizing and spacing of manually-formed lettering can also be a challenge. My guess is the crudeness of the lettering was a case of "the best the artist could do" vs. intentional sloppiness.

I would say the quill/feather looks more like a dart about to be thrown.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I cut it some slack because it was done by a Bridgeport high school student, not a professional artist. I know that I can't do better, so I limit my criticism.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 195Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05