Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is The DDD Or Have More If A Doubled Die Look?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 264Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  08:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
it is a 1978, I can post pictures of the rest of the coin but wanted to see if this is just DDD before taking a bunch if photos. There is only one doubled die for this year listed, the D in particular looks to have doubling so I want to know what you think. I'm guessing it's just DDD but always like a second opinion when I'm not positive.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  08:29 am  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say. Screen shots are not good as they are to pixelated. Can you get a real shot of the area and full shot of front and back? What do you mean by DDD? MD is for Machine Doubling.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Edited by VestigeWolf
09/25/2021 08:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD is Die Deterioration Doubling. It can be trickier to tell the difference between DDD and DD, MD is usually fairly obvious. This is most definitely not MD. I'm just about to go for a walk with my son, I'll post the full coin shots after, the scope shot is the best way to capture something so small, my phone usually in nit capable, though I'll take a zoomed in shot as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3325 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see full coin pictures, plus a few (not too many) close shots of other areas of the coins. But please not a picture of a picture if you can.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can try and get as close as possible with my phone but I doubt I'll be able to get close enough to show anything.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53928 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking to close removes context. Images should include more than 1-2 images. They are no help. We need to see a wider view to see what is going on.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried to compare to VV or wexlers?
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all due respect Wrekkdd, you are a Pillar of the Community. You have 1346 posts. I thought a "Pillar of the Community", here on CCF, meant you were well versed in numismatics which would allow a member with that given title/status to help other collectors. Why are other members having to ask if you have compared your coin to VV or Wexler's if you have obtained the "Pillar" title (no disrespect at all). After the number of posts you have, wouldn't it be prudent to post good clear pictures of both the obverse and reverse of your coin and not take pictures from a computer screen? Maybe I am way off base here but can someone tell me what the criteria is, other than just having posted countless times, how you become a "Pillar of the Community"? Thank you in advance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought a "Pillar of the Community", here on CCF, meant you were well versed in numismatics

Everyone gets it after a certain number of posts. I think 1k.

Quote:
other than just having posted countless times

Yeah that's it.

And to answer OP's question; I can honestly not see any doubling in the provided image.
Edited by Tanman2001
09/26/2021 12:38 am
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much Tanman for your explanation. I appreciate it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bumpkin, I post A lot and can help members depending the error or damage or with some varieties, but the tital I just based on the amount of posts. I did compare it to wexler but there is only 1 listing so it was not hard to realize mine did not match up, though that does not mean there is not any unlisted doubled dies(though I doubt I would be the one to discover it. I have been practicing with my new scope to identify things, I have only been really getting a look at coins for 13 days now, before that everything I did was strictly with my cell phone. Some doubled dies are very obvious others not so much, and with many of my cents being very circulated it is hard to compare it to uncirculated examples.

I was recently going to to a post asking when does a coin become to circulated to identify a doubled die, but decided against it because depending on each person's skill level it would be different.

I have a huge lot of coins that I have questioned and need to re study and most of the coins I find like this end up there so when I go back to re study them if nothing jumps out then it goes into my "junk pile" or into my "keepers" for an album. Hopefully I find something. It's easy to identify doubled dies on modern coins with single squeeze dies but not on older circulation coins.
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Wrekkdd, thank you very much for your detailed and thoughtful explanation. As I said in my post, I did not mean any disrespect to you at all and if it came across the wrong way I apologize, sincerely. After reading what I posted, I definitely should have thoroughly proofread it and I admit I could I have worded some things differently. Once again, my apologies. Thank you for your kind, professional, and sincere response to my question. Have a great day!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bumpkin, not a problem, you didn't know about the title so I get how it can be confusing. There are many people here with less posts that are far more knowledgeable then me, I just post a lot. I'm only ever on the site via mobile(have never been on here via PC) so my quality is far from what it could be. I'm a slow learner lol, and there is so much info to learn. I appreciate the apologies but truly I didn't feel you were disrespectful just being blunt lol.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05