Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Soliciting Thoughts On This 1799 Bust Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 828Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  12:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are seller pics. A friend of mine is looking to purchase it and would like your opinions. The consensus among our group was VF-25, with a possible old cleaning.

Might get better photos later tonight.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
8461 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds about right and looks attractive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6394 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great eye appeal
Pillar of the Community
United States
5675 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing any obvious signs of cleaning from these photos. Should straight-grade, VF-25 or maybe even 30. Looks like a great type coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We had the privilege of seeing a video which shows the surface is a little more glossy than matte when light is reflected off the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62926 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good shot at VF-30 straight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3308 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8555 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not having a good feeling on this dollar. Are you sure of it's genuine status?

The date position looks off and I can't match it up with any other 1799 (13 reverse stars). I'm not an expert in this series so I could easily be wrong, but I know this is a common date to fake. Make sure it's real.

Grade? I'm in at VF25 if it checks out.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
West, seems to match up with a normal date: http://www.earlydollars.org/wizarddata.asp?ID=121

The reverse strike weakness even matches up. I guess it could be a transfer counterfeit but I don't know the series well enough to know for sure either.
Edited by Adam_E
09/30/2021 2:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1799 Draped Bust Dollar in VF20 condition retails for about $2,200.
No way on earth would I want to take the risk of buying a raw coin for that price!
Edited by NumisEd
09/30/2021 2:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3254 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at VF 30.

Below is a PCGS 13 stars that appears to have the same date position.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest the following: tell the seller you will buy the coin IF they send it out for grading for which you will pay IF the coin comes back as authentic. If not, you safely can assume the coin is a fake.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62926 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dunno. Probably easier for him to wait for another buyer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately that wouldn't be possible, as Coinfrog says, the seller would just wait for another buyer.

The seller is reputable and regularly sells high dollar items though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8555 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photo slider23! I somehow missed that one, you are correct the date position matches up nicely on that photo.

I'd still want it in a PCGS slab if it was my money, not so much for the grade as much as the buy back guarantee.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 828Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: