Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 Morgan Dollar VAM-145 DDO You Vs TPG

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 518Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
959 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pawn Shop pick up $39.50 what is your opinion on grade? The notches on the 1 and 7 of date were naked eye clue's for the VAM-145. TPG may have slightly overgraded.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3080 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, not a fan of the surfaces. What's going on there? Stained? An old dip that wasn't rinsed properly? Low AU Details, ED?
Pillar of the Community
United States
959 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It graded straight
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61507 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
l'll say AU-55, possibly 58. Not a fan.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/13/2021 9:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
20861 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good separation on the number 1 though!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4608 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was the grading company? That holder doesn't look like that of any TPG I recognize.

Regardless, I'm at AU-53 Details because of the staining, and there appears to be a spot of cleaning around the right obverse stars. I'm fairly confident if this were to go to NGC or PCGS today it wouldn't straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
849 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 would be my guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3184 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If genuine, the coin looks like it had a acid wash that melted some of the details. The rim on the obverse looks off. The coin is Damaged.
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe in a fire? This should be a details coin regardless
Pillar of the Community
United States
3184 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jason,
I agree, it looks like fire damage.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not a legitimate grading service. You can buy these slabs empty and place whatever coins you want in them.

There are some environmental issues going on with this coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cup holder coin (model t ford)
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Australia
388 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
details
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
959 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was imo conservatively graded as original and is genuine. The TPG is a nationally recognized grading service.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9950 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a cool VAM but I have this example at AU details.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin in slab: MS-61, as graded by ICG.
My real impression: AU Details.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 518Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05