Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959 No Mint Mark Jefferson Nickel. Help?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 217Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zander2014 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening today I received this 1959 jeferson nickel while buying snacks with my son. He usually grabs the change and heads to the candy machine. He came running back and said I got a gold nickel. I laughed and said ok. When he showed me the nickel he gave it to me. It actually looks like a golden cameo or even polished. I looked at it better at the house.

1) can the color be because of being more copper then nickel or. Did the mint make polished.

2) Theres a small black line on Monticello building 2nd floor arc. How does this occur and why?

3) the letters around on obverse and reverse are all crisp letters. As if bold & strong. It really is a super good looking coin? My son asked why the nickel was this color. I just want to have some knowledge about it thanks again.

Any information is helpful. Thanks community
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10087 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A somewhat unusual find in change. A 1959D seems to be more commonly encountered than a 1959. You have a circulated and scratched pre 1960 nickel which really has no real extra value.

A decent hole filler if you are building a circulated set as it will probably be quite sometime until you spot another in change
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
10/21/2021 9:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7521 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely environment tarnishing/toning/staining. May have yellowed from being in a plastic album most of it's life. No mint error, and did not come from the mint looking like this. Probably a coin collection dump (we see a lot of those here). Doesn't look like a proof coin, most likely just not well circulated. Some people consider toning damage, while others cherish them.
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16169 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything unusual about this Nickel . Value 5˘ .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54589 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) can the color be because of being more copper then nickel or. Did the mint make polished.
The coin picked up color from its surroundings. Often coins that spent more time in an area with sulfur, they turn yellow in color. Not a premium for this.

2) Theres a small black line on Monticello building 2nd floor arc. How does this occur and why?
I'm not seeing the mark from the image provided. If you are referring to the line from the building upwards, that maybe just a fading stain on that area?

3) the letters around on obverse and reverse are all crisp letters. As if bold & strong. It really is a super good looking coin?
That is because of the earlier die state of the coin. When the coin was fresh, it would have been a nice find, But as the coin looses it bloom of youth, it becomes just spendable change. Look at a local coin shop for a mint set for that year and note how the cello protects it, or as it ages, turns the coin to a new color.
Rainbow toned coin on top image.

Silver tarnishes and turns more interesting in color, or worse in color.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zander2014 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks community ill be uploading clearer pictures. I came across a ddo-001 on variety vista. The date on pictures posted look to have a chip or cud on the one and star
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54589 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A die chip is a void on a die. A die cud is when part of the outside edge breaks off the die.

The difference? The die can be kept in service with a die chip. but a die cud is an end of life experience for a die. Chips are a die event and basically have not premium. But a cud will have a nice premium for them.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 217Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: