Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 S Nickel-Can You Safely Clean

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
57 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  7:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinquestador1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I realize this coin has some nicks on it but I found it in pocket change I've been accumulating for a couple years. Wondering if there's any way to "polish" it some. Steps aren't bad but I don't know if full
Learn More...
United States
22026 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wondering if there's any way to "polish" it some.

Please please do not polish it in any way. You could give it a bath in pure acetone, but otherwise I strongly recommend doing nothing.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinquestador1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'll do nothing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64386 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin, please leave it as it is.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinquestador1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys
Pillar of the Community
United States
1132 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with everyone else here, polishing in any way would ruin the luster on this, and therefore the value would diminish dramatically to essentially the value of the silver.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinquestador1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take you guys' word for it and leave it alone. If these pictures are sufficient, any condition/grade opinions would be appreciated. Thanks again
Pillar of the Community
United States
6781 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a very nice example. Let it be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7665 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the hobby, "shiny" does not mean valuable. Too many people unfmiliar with the hobby think polishing will improve eye appeal and therefore improve value.

Anything that alters the surface metal is called "cleaning" by the hobby and will ruin the coin. This includes even rubbing it with a Kleenex b/c the Kleenex is actually rough enough to scratch the surface, leaves telltale marks, and the value is ruined.

Gunk can be removed only with something that will not in any way alter the metal (even on a microscopic level). Acetone cannot hurt or change the metal and is used to "conserve" a coin by ridding it of some types of dirt it might get in circulation. Xylene can also help sometimes and is safe.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12071 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinquestador1! You're only about an hour away from me. Nice find for pocket change.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Edited by spruett001
11/08/2021 11:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2021  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinquestador1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spruett001. Nice to hear from a neighbor
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have a very nice example. Let it be.

Nice find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1276 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as for grade, something like AU-55, a nice find to be sure
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5410 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: