Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 50c Liberty Seated Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 536Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8779 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  11:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$2,060. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1351 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont know but I love the toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8788 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure is pretty love the muted edge rainbow colors on the reverse, it has a proof feel, but I think it's MS63+/* and might cross to a MS64. The only area holding it back for me is around the lower shield and eagle's left leg.

Dud you pick this one up? I saw it on eBay last week, I didn't quite agree with the lofty grades the seller thought it would make, but that price was fair enough if it's not a doctored coin, IMO. It looks fine from the photos.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
11/20/2021 11:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8779 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did. Hopefully it is as represented. We'll see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3714 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say MS-63 with nice peripheral toning, although I'm not sure the overall toning wouldn't get a questionable color designation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9800 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess 64 from the images. When the seller starts throwing around 67 and 68 in the item description they are violating eBay policy. Seller says they don't accept returns but their listing violations make that a moot point. Price seems safe enough from what is shown in the listing.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
707 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike1487 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65. Looks like a fingerprint in the lower left obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1520 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I dont know but I love the toning.

Ditto.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67643 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64, but 65 would not surprise.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/21/2021 09:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11908 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that finger/palm print really stands out on this one. I think the toning is natural. other than that I cant find much wrong with the coin. I agree with westcoin that it has the look of a proof but the reverse will hold it back a little. if the print wasnt there I think the obverse would grade at least MS66 or even 67 as the strike and surface preservation are above average. I think the reverse comes in at MS65. MS65+
Pillar of the Community
United States
8779 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This came in and I cannot even begin to capture with my lacking photo skills how bright the oranges and blues look on this coin. Maybe the best toning in a coin I have owned.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3714 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A real beauty. The dings on the reverse shield and eagle hurt, but I'll bump my grade a tad to 63+.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9800 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the original images had the reverse damage photo-shopped out. Glad you like the toning, it does look good.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3532 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The example has fantastic eye appeal. The toning looks NT from being in an album. The finger print is a distraction and there are a few dings at the bottom of the shield, and I would have a concern that the dings could detail the coin. I am at 63 at best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice toning. My guess is MS-64.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: