Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1796 10c Draped Bust Small Eagle Dime #2, Jr-6

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 239Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8354 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  1:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I picked up a second 1796 dime. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Learn More...
United States
21336 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty close to a shattered die—super pick-up @ns.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62682 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. EF-45? Very neat coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1017 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice die breaks . I'm not great at these but I'll say VF-35
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3622 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin But.... The 7 looks like it was hit with a hammer. And not sure if I can decide if I would call that damage above the bow
Pillar of the Community
United States
3244 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wear on the coin is in the AU range, but no luster showing on photo. XF45
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10845 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF40
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is the die pair that produced some of the top coins for the date. Wow, what a VLDS die state. You can see the strike difference contrast right at the obverse break line. If you ignore the portion inside the die break and grade from the better struck fragment, the obverse looks at least EF-40, and possibly EF-45. The better struck areas of the reverse show the same detail. I'm thinking this one is at least EF-40, with a shot at EF-45.

What a fantastic coin!
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the die state on this coin! My only question is (half-joking) why get two 1796 dimes instead of 1796 and 1797 to fill out every date of the type?
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2021  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-45
Pillar of the Community
United States
8530 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:39 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in on this one at AU50. A lovely late die state example.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
8354 Posts
 Posted Today  22H 6M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saw the coin. Thought it looked great. Price was reasonable. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

@Adam590 I think I could have picked a 1797 but an attractive one at an attractive price of that date didn't cross my path. This one did. Just how things unfolded.

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
Today 22H 3M ago
Pillar of the Community
United States
9701 Posts
 Posted Today  21H 13M ago  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome die break.
ANA #R3154474
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 239Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: