Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Totally Gross Christmas Competition To Celebrate 1000 Posts!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 195 / Views: 5,993Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar of the Community

Australia
1130 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  04:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No, not that kind of gross . I mean the other kind as used by Bilbo in his Long-expected Party. Between Covid and the weather I suspect that many of us will spend our holidays hunkered down in warm places (in the northern hemisphere) or in cool places (in the southern hemisphere) or in lockdown/quarantine. To that end I wanted a competition that would last a good length of time. Just so happens that there are 12 lots of 12 in a gross and there are 12 days of Christmas so I decided to run a 12 day competition with 12 questions each day. The format of the quiz will be as follows:
Starting on the morning of Christmas Day (Australian time) I will upload images of 12 coins. I will continue to upload 12 coins a day for the remaining 11 days until we reach one gross. The competition will close on the 10th of January 2022. As an entrant you need to identify as many coins as you can before the closing date. I also forgot to mention that there are in fact 2 competitions running.
1. INDIVIDUAL - Yes, your chance to stick it to the rest of CCF just how well you know your coins! Prize and bragging rights at stake here. The winner will be the individual with the higher number of coins correctly identified.
2. USA vs THE REST OF THE WORLD PERCENTAGE CHALLENGE - Besides darn fine apple pies and the best dirty dogs and bagels in NYC, are the folks of America as knowledgeable with coins as they would like the rest of the globe to think? Now it's their chance to shine in victory or suffer the agony of defeat. I like a fair competition and I know a large number of CCF members are American so the winning team will be calculated by adding all the individual scores for each team and dividing by the number of entrants to get a mean. The team with the highest mean wins.
Prizes - There will be 3 prizes for the individual competition as follows with postage provided so long as Australia Post will deliver to your country. Even if you aren't eligible for a prize because of postage, please still enter as you can get bragging rights and may help Team USA or Team non-USA to victory (or loss!)
- Australia 2020 Olympics and Paralympics coin set (if you're reading this Princetane, I do finally have all your coins ready to send but will wait until January 2022. Too many items get lost and delayed this time of year).

- Samoa 1974 Specimen set

- Israel coin set (OK, I know this is a dud prize as the coins seem to be different dates and they're glued but hey, it's free!).

The Rules:
1. One entry per CCF member.
2. If entering you must let me know before Christmas Day in Australia by responding on this thread. Also include in your response if you are Team USA or Team non-USA. (I know the info should be on your profile, but you may be limey expat in America who still has feelings for Britain!)
3. Please submit all your results as one entry. I'll post a list of the coins so you can copy into excel or word app. If you do not know a coin, just leave the adjacent field blank.
4. For each coin you must specify the issuer, face value, date (if issued for 1 year) or date range and (if applicable) the event the coin commemorates. Dates to be in Gregorian format.
5. The top winner can choose which prize they wish and so on down the ladder.
THE COINS: I have chosen modern coins because that is what I have the best understanding of so sorry for those that have more knowledge in the older coins and ancients. Now, for those sly dogs among you thinking 'Easy, I'll use Coinoscope or a similar app', think again. I forgot to mention that the images are not of the entire coin. I also didn't mention that my computer has an annoying bug whereby images sometimes get rotated and flipped. But I can give you some hints:
- The earliest coin has a date range starting at 1834.
- The newest coin has a date of 2020.
- Most are non-precious, but some coins are silver and one coin is gold.
- All coins are either standard circulation or circulating commemoratives.
- Note that some coins may have 2 images to enable proper identification.
- Not all issuers exist today (e.g Sarawak). Hmmm. did I include a coin from Sarawak.
- I have tried to keep the doubling up of issuers to a minimum but there are two instances of issuers that I call home where there are 4-6 cases of doubling up.
Now as a teaser, here is a warm-up coin image. Feel free to post what you think it is on the thread. BTW - the coin is not from the competition.

Edited by David Graham
12/18/2021 04:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4477 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clever idea! A few years ago one of the members did a somewhat similar challenge where only the last 2 digits of the date were photographed.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3834 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David, that would be a 2009 Native American dollar.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3891 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you maybe showing to much coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2233 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. Thank you for thinking of us and working on the contest.

I'm not knowledgeable in the world coin realm, but will definitely enjoy the thread and may throw out a few guesses. I didn't know the answer to the first coin until I did some research. By the time I figured it out, your countryman had already supplied the answer.

Let the fun soon commence!
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1130 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that during the competition DO NOT POST your answers on the thread unless you are feeling very generous. It is akin to letting your classmates know your answer during an exam. By all means, drop some hints and maybe even boast that you know what a certain coin is but please don't post the direct answer. You will need to message me your 144 answers at the end of the competition.

Speaking of school exams, if I saw your answer Steve I would have to fail you.

Quote:

David, that would be a 2009 Native American dollar.

There are several Native American dollars and you haven't specified which one!

Quote:

I think you maybe showing to much coin.

As Gollum would say 'Does it guess easy!'.
OK, here's another warm up image.

Edited by David Graham
12/18/2021 2:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3834 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are several Native American dollars and you haven't specified which one!

Just so we know, just what other information would you want.
Is the year not enough. Couldn't give you the mint.

David, also make sure you name your images that are posted the same day. Your first image has now been replaced by the second image.

Cheers

Steve
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
12/18/2021 7:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1130 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Just so we know, just what other information would you want.
Is the year not enough. Couldn't give you the mint.

OK, I didn't realise that a different Native American dollar was put out each year. For this one I would be chasing "United States, 1 Dollar 2009 'Spread of Three Sisters Agriculture'. Am thinking of situations like the State Quarters. Simply saying a 2011 State Quarter could mean several coins.

Quote:

David, also make sure you name your images that are posted the same day. Your first image has now been replaced by the second image.

Yeah, all images have a unique name for the competition. CCF must update the cache for posts and replace images with the same name. Didn't know that until now.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3834 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CCF must update the cache for posts and replace images with the same name. Didn't know that until now.

Yeah, I got caught out by that in the early days. :)
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3827 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome idea David and count me in the sweepstakes. team non USA of course, Aussie, Aussie Aussie - nah scratch that - Give em a taste of Kiwi (PS I won the individual prize in a tri club quiz as a knees up).

We can keep it Pacific gentlemen and ladies.

Let the games begin.

PS January is okay with me, because you will need to add my PRIZE to that stuff.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1130 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it looks like it will be a trans-Tasman competition. The yanks can't even muster a team!

A bit disappointing response.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3827 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hint - Throw some American coins in the contest prizes

Preferably of the silver half dollar variety and they will come running. The Samoan specimen set and Aussie Olympix coins are nice, but the Israeli thing is awful even by free standards.

Just my opinion.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
23237 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The yanks can't even muster a team!

USA USA USA!

I'm not very good at these, but will definitely try to help my fellow 'muricans. Of course, it isn't encouraging to have found this meme near the top of page one results when I searched on TEAM USA.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1130 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far have 3 entrants:
Spence - Team USA
Princetane - Team Rest of the World
Tigersmob - Team Rest of the World

Would be great if we can get some more entrants in the next 36 hours.

Spence - Hopefully you'll get some more entrants so the meme won't come true. Speaking of Americans in Australia, there's a well known country singer in Oz called Slim Dusty (actually I think he's passed on now). One his his most popular songs is called 'A Pub with no Beer'. I only found out the other day that the song was based on an actual pub in Queensland. Why did it have no beer? During WW2 a bunch of thirsty GI's descended on the pub and literally drank all the beer. It took a few days for more beer to arrive. Needless to say, the locals were not amused.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2942 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm loving this thread and plan to get thoroughly trounced. I don't know if I have a long enough attention span to participate but I'll give it a go.

Count me in for team USA.
(Do I want to belong to a team that would have me as a member? )
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1130 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome - 1 more for Team USA. As much as us Kiwi's and Auusie's love bragging we do love a fair game.

TEAM USA
Spence
Petespocket55

TEAM Rest of the World (currently an ANZ pact)
Princetane
Tigersmob
Page: of 13 Previous TopicReplies: 195 / Views: 5,993Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: