Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On Use Of Planchets For Incuse Gold Series

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 166Next Topic  
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  12:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CMattB2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A question was recently brought up to me that a certain $2.5 incuse coin had a strange look around the circumference of the coin, almost akin to marks from being crimped at the end of a roll. They were not scratches, but difference in relief, with the edges of the coin being raised on both sides. It was then noted that this occurrence is somewhat common in both $2.5 and $5 Indian series coins. Especially on earlier dates of the 1910s.

I then thought of the way planchets are prepared before being struck, the planchet starts out flat but then gets rolled and the edges become raised. I can understand this technique being done to satisfy the rim and denticles of the Liberty series of gold coinage, but it could be assumed that such a practice would be ceased with the mintage of the incuse Indian series as they have no raised devices other than a mintmark.

From this, I wondered if the answer is that the planchets being used on some of these coins were left over from the previous years of minting the Liberty series. Such an act is not uncommon from the mint as recycling and reuse was common in that time. There definitely could have been a situation where old planchets were found and used without the realization or care of the raised edges.

From this, I am asking the question of if the presence of raised edges on $2.5 and $5 incuse series coins can be seen as something of a planchet error, being that they were struck on planchets intended for the previous series of coins.

Thank You for reading,

Inserted below are images of 2 coins. The coin dated 1908 does not show signs of raised edges on the planchet while the coin dated 1914 does exhibit the described signs.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  12:49 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that the ring comes from Die Deterioration. Similar to modern Lincoln cents.

This is just an observation, but it is neat that the mintmark is cut off by the ring.
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking that perhaps the coin spent some time in a bezel as a piece of jewelry and has since been removed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you noted, it's a fairly common finding in gold Indian quarter and half eagles. I don't believe it's a planchet issue, but it's likely from die buckling.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area,but I think it is akin to ridge ring on cents.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
Australia
14025 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thinking that perhaps the coin spent some time in a bezel as a piece of jewelry and has since been removed.

This would be my assumption, on seeing ring-shaped damage on a gold coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 166Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: