Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weimar Republic Coin 1920

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 369Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nthg2itbut2doit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm sure this coin is from the Weimar Republic, 1920. However I haven't been able to find an image of this coin that includes the "R" stamped inside of the "5" in "25". Does anyone know the significance of this difference?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4477 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is "notgeld". It is quite possible that the R was added after minting. I cannot find my notgeld catalogue to see if it is a recognized variety.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44614 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Maybe a counter stamped coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
23211 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nth, first welcome to CCF. Second, that is a pretty cool piece so thank you for posting. I agree that the R was stamped at some time after the notgeld was struck. Consisting only of a single letter, it is a "maverick" and is most likely going to be very hard to chase down who did the counterstamping and why.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
867 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just a thought, from my experience in the printing industry, that "R" is a Helvetica type font. A widely used sans-serif typeface developed in 1957 by Swiss typeface designer Max Miedinger. That counterstamp may have been added in more recent times.
Learn More...
Australia
14258 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"R" stamped onto a coin often means it's a "Replica". I don't think that's what this "R" means, since nobody to my knowledge makes replicas of German notgeld coins. But it's an unfortunate coincidence.

And in case anyone is wondering: the coin is a notgeld coin from the city of Aachen, Germany, and depicts the famous "wolf statue" in the city's cathedral. The legend of this statue is that back in mediaeval times, the city elders made a pact with the Devil: the Devil would complete the construction of their cathedral for them (the construction of which had suffered from delays and cost blowouts), but he would claim the soul of the first mortal being to enter the completed building. With the Emperor Charlemagne due to arrive in town the next day for his coronation ceremony in the cathedral, they had a quandary: how to keep their cathedral, but stop the Devil from claiming a soul (especially the emperor's)? One canny monk found the loophole in the Devils' contract, and had the solution to their problem: send in a humanoid animal. So they captured a large wolf and sent it into the cathedral. In the dim light, the Devil didn't realise he had been tricked until it was too late, and so the cathedral was opened with no human soul needing to be sacrificed. In memory of the wolf that died on their behalf, this statue was made and placed in the cathedral.

The truth about the statue is rather more mundane. Art historians confirm it's actually an ancient Roman statue of a bear (not a wolf), dating from around the second century AD and originally part of a fountain (hence the water-spout hole in the animal's stomach). Quite why it was originally put in the cathedral is now lost to history.

The 1 ocher (10 pfennig) notgeld coin of Aachen depicts the Old Woman of Aachen, who is the central figure in the sequel story to the wolf legend. According to this legend, the Devil was super angry with the city for being tricked with the wolf, so he went off to the North Sea, scooped up a huge mound of gravel, and came back to Aachen, planning on burying the entire town under a pile of debris. He was nearly there when, tired and exhausted, he became a bit disoriented and so asked a passing old woman coming the other way down the road how far away it was to Aachen.

The Woman saw through the Devil's flimsy attempt at disguise and realised he meant the town ill, so she lied to him. She showed him her old, worn-out shoes and told him they had been brand new when she bought them in Aachen. She showed him her stale mouldy bread, and told him it had been baked fresh in Aachen before she left.

And so, thinking that Aachen must still be many days down the road and growing tired of his vengeance, the Devil gave up, and dumped his load of gravel right there by the road. Which is why today there is a large hill of gravel called the Lousberg just one kilometre to the north of the city of Aachen. A statue at the scenic lookout on top of Lousberg commemorates this legend.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very interesting, Sap, thank you for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the Walter Funck books covering German Notgeld.
The R is likely punched on the piece for unknown reasons by an unknown person.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: