Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 Lincoln Memorial Cent: Check This Out Someone Different

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 740Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  06:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kpierce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So my fiance found this penny, can someone tell me if they have ever seen something like this

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To help us better understand what may be happening, please post a full, large and sharp image of the obverse. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4974 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are talking about the Edge toning, that looks really nice. It happens on a lot of coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44614 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. It reminds me of a copper plated cent that has been heated with a cigarette lighter,but there are some collectors who believe it is a plating error.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
23203 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chase, look at what appears to be an autocorrect error in @dear's response. Either way, the toning is pretty cool on this cent, but I don't think it adds to the numismatic value. Welcome to CCF @kpi!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67613 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think John has it right - false error. Can you show us an obverse pic?

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/27/2022 10:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , as well as a full obverse pic .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kpierce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kpierce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Is this &
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1001 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am one of those people that call it bad plating. I've found 95s like this in obw rolls. Haven't hear a reason to believe it isn't.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This it is far to be a toning coin. Look cool, but it is not toning. No natural toning affect at this small scale the upper and deep of the coin. If you overlays it is same on both side.
Learn More...
United States
23203 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is maybe someone stripping off the copper plating from the center of the faces of these cents to create this dramatic color variation? Like @sil, this doesn't look like toning to me. Rather, that looks like exposed zinc to me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think silviosi has this correct, "No natural toning." Could be heat damage as suggested, but nothing natural.

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
2938 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a plating issue as others have said.

IMHO, Mint luster (shiny areas) seems to be present on the plated and unplated area. If the plating was removed the luster wouldn't be visible.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2284 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the plating is removed, which it is very hard and employ high technology, will be not congruent with the other side.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kpierce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so much for your input.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 740Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: