Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dog Found Continental Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 816Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  07:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey so just walking my dog last week, hes half German shepherd, well I take him over to the woods and let him off his leash since no one else is around and just let him run around, occasionally I see the German Shepherd in him and he gets a scent starts digging and going crazy and I pulled this where he was digging amongst a couple dozen other coins, all of which or extremely corroded and Rusty some actually look like they were petrifying, this coin did not look at all like this when I found it, I managed to bring out some of the design none of that silvery color was showing and it was caked and corroded to the point where I originally couldn't even identify as a coin 100%, knowing it obviously is worthless unless it can be identified so I slowly and patiently started to see if it's possible if I could get it to the point we're at least identification was possible, before I got all the corrosion off it weighed almost 23 g, and now even with the corrosion that still on there it weighs exactly 20 grams, the rim looks to have a vine or leaves etched around it, my estimate is it would probably weigh under 19, I dont know if it still has value but if it is the 1776 continental dollar, I feel privileged, excited and extremely lucky even holding one, my question is what do you do in this situation continue to work at it impossibly destroy or ruin it or leave it as is

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to take your word on this one.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
38104 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  08:48 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44709 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. What made you even think it was a Continental Dollar?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have known, always different in person

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well guess it's obvious I need to be worked a little more it's definitely a continental dollar though, whether it's authentic or not I can't speak on but if you look where fugio, and mind your business is, you can make out the letters somewhat and on the reverse you can make out we and one and nose rings are unmistakable I appreciate the response

Pillar of the Community
United States
3722 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't even tell if that's a coin for certain. What's the diameter? That's likely to be more reliable than the weight. On the plus side, who needs a metal detector when you have a dog like that!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4030 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing it. Those surfaces are so corroded and eaten up, there's no way of seeing the original devices at this point, IMO. Look hard enough and one can probably find just about anything in there! Pareidolia.

and best of luck.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's a test for the imagination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5003 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a unicorn but no coin. Good luck but thats way too corroded to be worth anything.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think maybe dog found dog.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8889 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Continental Dollar was made of pewter which doesn't corrode like that
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4234 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts .dog found dog tag ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
867 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you try a magnet?
Learn More...
United States
38104 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nose rings
?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 816Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: