Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983-P Kennedy Half No "Fg"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 354Next Topic  
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  3:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Echo1711 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just learned about this error on a YouTube video so I went through my collection and wonder if I found one. I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8178 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the slabbing companies you cannot even have a trace. In your third picture yo posted )of the REV) you can easily make out FG - especially the G.

The No FG halves are 1966, 1972-D, 1983, and 1982. Of these, it I likely all of those are just die polishing issues and not actual errors. The 1982 No FG did seem to be legitimately left off of one of the 1982 dies. This same die has no serif on the base of the 1 in the date.
This last piece of info is something the slabbing companies obviously do not know since they slab both kinds of 1982 halves as No FG.

The No FG variety was brought to light when former PCGS Ron Guth "discovered" a 1972-D where the FG was polished off of the die and thus PCGS found a way to offer another variety and make a market...which they did despite it just being another polished die event - which is not uncommon.

If you look long enough, you can find many Kennedy halves without an FG, an F, or a G. But even then when tilted to the light, the initials typically show up.

I have an extensive research paper/essay I wrote concerning the rookie-level ineptitude of the companies in labeling halves as No FG. Their practice has cost collector's thousands of dollars (also documented with PCGS figures and the coins that were paid for).

The essay is linked below if interested.

https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a polished die issue. Not a mint error, as they were removing an die event, so the die could be continued to be used. It if didn't work, then they would have retired the die. Just a normal coin to a real variety collector.

But on the 1982 and 1983 Halves, the nicer examples would be keepers, because they made mint sets those years, but you had to go to the individual mints to by them. They didn't sell them together in sets those years. So BU examples of Quarters and Halves would be in demand.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: