Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934-35 Melbourne Centenary Florin.i Think It's Real

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 140Next Topic  
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  02:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
So I ended up buying my deceased fathers coin collection from the other siblings. Now I get to play!
Part-way through the task of cataloguing everything and at the back of the album are the crowns and commemorative florins.
I have spent quite a bit of time trying to decide if the MCF is genuine and after many stuttering steps back and forward, I came across an article showing the specific die markers for the proof, specimen and business dies for this mintage.
https://www.drakesterling.com/pub/m...y_Florin.pdf
Seems my coin has the reverse marker of a vertical line dropping down from the horse's front right 'elbow', and an obverse die marker of die cracks eminating from the centre of the 5 point star on the robe, one emerging at slightly above 3 o'clock and one exiting opposite slightly above 9 o'clock.
Kind of hoping that the counterfeiters haven't improved to the point where they can imitate those particular features..YET.
But I'm pretty sure that you all will alert me if I am wrong.
Pics below slowly improving but I need a better light source.
Cheers ttkoo

Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Previous add-on deleted (author)
Edited by ttkoo
05/12/2022 04:30 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3821 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is hard to say with yours, but I am inclined to say its real. I would say it shows most genuine features but to a lesser degree.

I suggest you read this thread which explains how to spot the real thing.
http://goccf.com/t/401300
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is hard to say with yours, but I am inclined to say its real. I would say it shows most genuine features but to a lesser degree.

I suggest you read this thread which explains how to spot the real thing.
http://goccf.com/t/401300

Thanks Princetane, yes I read all of the MCF threads here earlier today. That's what had me going..."yes it is.... err... no it's not....err"
Then I read the article on die markers which pretty much sealed it for me, so unless the fakers are reproducing very fine die cracks, I think it's a goodie. There is also a very minute mark between the horses rump and the tail, which is only visible at an angle with a loupe, so it doesn't show up on the pics here.
Cheers
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 140Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: