Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Jefferson Nickel / Does This Show Doubling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 177Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  9:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newherehavingfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1964 Nickel has some oddities that I need help understanding. Thanks for your time. There is possibly doubling on obverse, the Y in Liberty. Also maybe in the 4 and also the area below the ribbon in his hair. On reverse, does the dome show doubling? (Don't yell at me for pic quality! I'm trying! Lol)
It seems clear but as a newbie, I've been wrong before.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7325 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What it is showing is a worn die and some MD to the devices around the circumference of the coin. What I do find interesting it how the Monticello building looks at the dome and under the stairs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57307 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More of an extremely worn die issue. Not hub doubling. The die was normal when created. Now it is a very senior die. The die is showing its age.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newherehavingfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What it is showing is a worn die and some MD to the devices around the circumference of the coin. What I do find interesting it how the Monticello building looks at the dome and under the stairs.

MD means minor doubling?
Thank you for pointing out the area under the stairs as well. I hadn't noticed that. So, would that be more apparent doubling? Super fun to have found one!
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newherehavingfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
More of an extremely worn die issue. Not hub doubling. The die was normal when created. Now it is a very senior die. The die is showing its age.

Oh shoot, really? Even on the reverse? And thank you!
Learn More...
United States
23188 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't yell at me for pic quality!

Your pics are well above average. Nicely done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newherehavingfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your pics are well above average. Nicely done!

Oh good! Thanks Spence!
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newherehavingfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MD means Machine Doubling

Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
621 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your welcome heres a link about doubling...

https://doubleddie.com/144822.html
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newherehavingfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your welcome heres a link about doubling...

https://doubleddie.com/144822.html

Thank you... it makes sense and I've seen examples before but my brain is not processing it yet, I think I'm in the wrong hobby. So, the reverse, to you, is MD? Looking at it now, it does appear flat. Cheers.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I'm in the wrong hobby.

I know it can feel like information overload at times, but don't give in to thoughts like that. It's an ongoing education for us all. I've been in this for more decades than I care to admit, and I am still learning new things almost every day - many from the great people on this forum.

Keep pressing forward. Ask the questions. You're in a good place.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2022  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newherehavingfun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know it can feel like information overload at times, but don't give in to thoughts like that. It's an ongoing education for us all. I've been in this for more decades than I care to admit, and I am still learning new things almost every day - many from the great people on this forum.

Keep pressing forward. Ask the questions. You're in a good place.

That's so nice to say, thank you! Yes, I am most certainly in the right place. I just don't want to bore everyone with obvious questions, but everyone here is so nice and helpful. I do feel overwhelmed because it's a lot for sure but I am still surrounded by stacks of coins and going through them all even when it's futile lol. I have learned an enormous amount but I still know almost nothing! lol. But I am really enjoying collecting :) I also forgot I had a nice little stash of European coins (pre EU), so that's a whole new arena! lol. Oh dear! I'm keeping busy! Thanks again!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 177Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: