Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 S Jefferson Reverse Of 41 S Frith Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 386Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  12:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CopperHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's very faint and kinda hard to get a picture of but I can see a s mint mark clear as day when I kinda move it around in front of a light. What do y'all think?

Learn More...
United States
24163 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cop, yes your pics are good enough that I see what you are talking about. Have you done a side by side comparison of the shape, size, and orientation of this feature to an actual S mintmark? I suspect that there are significant differences.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a coincident mark due to circulation and toning?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the S mint mark for these was above the building not beside for the War Nickels?

Edit: to elaborate, if it has no mint mark it is a nickel clad coin struck at the Philadelphia mint, for this coin to be a 1941 no mint mark to be re struck one year after mintage at a completely different mint in San Francisco seems highly unlikely, and if it was I imagine the S mint would be more visible. Just my 2 cents. The only possible Overstock for an S like that would be a 1941S Overstock by the 1942 Philadelphia mint, and the mint mark wasn't fully destroyed by the over stuck but just as unlikely.

Edited by Wrekkdd
05/19/2022 08:57 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just realized your inquiry was about a mule not an overstruck, either way I believe a mint mark would more be easily visible and if it was.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Matter fact I can see it better when I just hold it in front of me and it is actually raised towards the back of the s. I also have a 1941 s nickel I will do a side by side comparison this afternoon and post it. I got this nickel at a estate sale, it was in a bag with a bunch of other War Nickels and they just thought they were regular nickels so I grabbed them. All the nickels in fact look very different. I will post them in a bit. See what y'all think.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also if I look at it real closely I can see a s mint mark on the front as well.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When a mint mark is added to the die, they are punched into the design on the die. Thus the void created on the die will show what mint it is from. Your coin has no mintmark. So it is from Philadelphia. This is a type one nickel for this year. The Philly mint didn't have mintmarks that are raised above the surface of that area.
Type 1 And 2

2 Business and proof nickels:

So yours is a type one from Philly, that doesn't have a mintmark. (It would be raised if it were there)

CoopHome: Why does my 1942 nickel not have a mintmark? There are two types that year.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/19/2022 10:58 am
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing if I put it under the scope the date looks like a 1942 over 1. Will post pics shortly.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is raised as well
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperHound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll get pics in a bit.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a contact mark on the bottom of the '2'. Note it is incuse. Damage is incuse on a coin. On an over date, the affected area will be raised, not incuse:

Note the affected areas are raised, not lowered on the affected area of the design.

Just like an over mintmark:

Raised, not lowered on the devices/fields. Lowered is contact to a coin.

CoopHome: what should I see on a 1943/2 nickel on the overdate that year? What should I not see on a variety coin?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/19/2022 11:38 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 386Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: