Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1794 Large Cent Found

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 821Next Topic
Page: of 2
Austria
12 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  4:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Danlin_26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
At Sunday, I bought a bag of coins at a garage sale here in Austria for 20. In addition to many modern world coins, the bag
contained an old Austrian silver Kreuzer which I didn't have in my collection before. Great deal!
However, there was also a 1794 US Liberty Cap large Cent, a coin I never expected in such a situation.

So my question: Does the coin look genuine?
And what varaint is it? (If anyone can still say that despite the low grade) It would be great if I could add it to my US Type Set.

The weight is 12.60g

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Sorry for my bad English.

Edited by Danlin_26
05/23/2022 4:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Austria
12 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danlin_26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1
Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68843 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, congrats!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1092 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! It looks authentic, but in rough shape.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell which die pair it is, but it looks like a 1794 head of 1793to
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion this coin does not appear to be real. The reason is that normally, in any coin, you see the design elements raised above the fields and as a coin wears down from handling and circulation, the devices and fields wear down. In this coin I see that the fields appear to have risen to the level of the devices and the rims. You see this primarily in the rims in the obverse and more markedly in the raised fields at the center of the reverse. In the obverse, by the lettering BER in LIBERTY, it looks like there are several raised metal bridges to the rims across the lower level, dark fields. It looks like a poorly executed cast copy.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrhakfbacon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks real since the obverse matches one of the die pairs, but can you send an edge photo?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1793-95 cent planchet were supposed to weigh 13.48 grams. At 12.6g, this coin has lost ~6.5% of its original weight specification. That is if the planchet wasn't underweight to begin with, and the variance from the target weight was pronounced in 1794 due to crude planchet production and long travel times often from abroad. Add to that that it is possible to lose up to 5% of the weight of the coin to wear, and it looks like the coin could be within normal tolerance although at the extreme tail end on the distribution. The weight of the coin provides an inconclusive avenue of verification.
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Pillar of the Community
United States
6437 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2022  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Looks like the real deal to me, but the coin has had a tough life. I'd just add the coin to your collection and enjoy it.

No apologies needed regarding your English. Yours is better than many that have lived here all their life!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  12:44 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks very real, and in very rough shape. Super coin!!! I would love to have one of these some day.

I've been to countless garage sales and I've never come across anything this neat! Keep hunting, there will always be more treasures out there!
Learn More...
United States
113483 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3825 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks authentic, and it might be an S-65. The pattern of denticles on the obverse (strong in lower left, weak in upper right) is consistent with that variety.
Austria
12 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danlin_26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thanks for all the replies!
I think, I will add it to my type set.
I took a picture of the edge, it has the normal lettering "One Hundred for a Dollar".
Regarding those bright spots over the BER, I honestly don't think they are metal bridges, but instead part of the large worn area that can be seen all the way to the right edge of the obverse.

(Glad that I don't have to be too ashamed of my English.)
Edited by Danlin_26
05/24/2022 5:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That copper looks very orange and shiny. The edges to the face of the coin are square and sharp typical of coins struck in a collar. The edge surface seem really flat and smooth throughout the rounded edge for a coin in this heavily circulated condition that was not struck in a collar. There was a collar that applied the lettering but it was not used when the coin was struck.with the obverse and reverse design. The edge lettering application was a different process that applied lettering, but did not smooth the edge surface.. I would have expected something rougher and more like this in a genuine example. This is a 1794 S-22.

Edited by numismatic student
05/24/2022 6:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3825 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm convinced the coin is genuine. Here is an example of a 1794 S-65 in similar condition (but without the corrosion) that shows the characteristic denticle pattern of this variety; the date and LIBERTY positions match exactly. I think the surfaces are heavily affected by corrosion, not just wear, which may explain why the edges don't look as worn.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/large-cent...ToLot-071515
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 821Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: