Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 Lincoln Cent Missing Letters.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  1:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Danzil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1985 Lincoln penny missing the L in Liberty & the 2nd S in States on reverse is very faint.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45723 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worn die issue or a plating issue. Spendable.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grease? I see no evidence of widened devices.
Worn die? Note not all of the devices are not affected the same.
Plating issue? I see no zinc showing
DDD had affected the devices at one time, but was polished off of the die.
This has moved into the second stage of DDD, where the ridge ring as there, but also it was polished off.

So we are seeing the second polishing of the die that removed the ridge ring on the obverse die.

Note the shadow behind the hear and towards the rim? That was how much of the field on that side that was polished away on that area.

Thus the weakness of all of the motto devices, and the missing 'L' on Liberty and the weakness on the 'IBE' devices, the normal size from the first polishing of the RTY that are reduced a little. The reverse die looks like a first or second polishing. The FG is almost gone. (Possibly the same first die marriage) but with weakened devices. That is what I see on this coin.

CoopHome: DDD, the expanding of what is known about this might surprise you on a zinc cent?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/04/2022 2:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weak ES on the reverse is common to almost all Lincoln Memorial cent coins. This is due to the obverse bust is too large (thick) and takes up the material to form and does not leave much to form the reverse.
The obverse could be due to grease
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add errorluvr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possibly the post mint error referred to as the ring of death?
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danzil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you saying this is an error Coop? I've researched the 1985 & I've never seen a no MM 85 with any errors, the 1985 D had something.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danzil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@errorluvr is that a good thing or bad thing & . It's sounds good because you added "error" before " ring of death", but it also sounds bad when I reflect upon my usual outcomes! 🤷 #127996;#8205;#9794;#65039;Let's say it is an error, what happens next? Does that mean I'll have just discovered the 1st 1985 no MM error & I'll be flooded with riches? Or after I send it off to be graded it'll be lost in the mail? Knowing my luck it's the latter! 🤷 #127996;#8205;#9794;#65039;
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1498 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No errors just an average slightly Grease Fill die, and circulation damage.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add errorluvr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ring of death happens when the coin is caught in a machine that puts the coins in rolls and it spins until there is a ring around the coin. Here is a picture of one that is pretty extreme. Basically I'm told this makes the coin only worth face value.

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danzil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found another 1985 missing parts of LIBERTY & IN. It also has a triple ring. Coop seems to think it's DDD. If it is, did I find 2 that were struck with same worn out die around the same time?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2022  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Letters aren't missing, just weak grease filled. Please only post one coin per thread, otherwise it gets confusing.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1498 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Danzil, no they don't have to be from the same die. All dies if they survive long enough will turn into DDD
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Grease Fill either. The devices were polished off the die on a ridge ring die issue. This is not an error. It is just a die event. The die was normal when created. The die event of polishing altered the die. No premium.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danzil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! I found a gem this weekend! I'm headed to my local expert this morning to confirm my findings! He was enthusiastic after the pics I emailed him! I'll post later!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: