Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 Lincoln Wheat Cent DDO Maybe? I Say Yes. What Say You?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 551Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  04:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ozzy5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased a book of pennies today from a family that was eliminating some of their late Fathers collection. Nothing, amazing yet. Silver coinage to come next week. I did notice this 1920 1c and I really think I have a winner. No listings for 1920 DDO. Maybe a first. Clear notching on the 2 & 9 of date. Also some devices in Liberty and the U in Trust. Let's see..... Thank You.

Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15236 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you purchased a book of Pennie's it would be coins from the UK but
your CENT looks to just have normal circulation wear.
Don't see any sign of Doubling.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
8548 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the images posted, I'm not seeing any doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks normal to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45167 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not seeing doubling. You might want to give it a 100% pure acetone dip.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where do you purchase Pure Acetone?
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hardware store, in paint department
Pillar of the Community
United States
6105 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say no as well.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't think finger nail polish remover.
Lol
Thanks
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ozzy5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before I completely lose it, I purchased a binder with plastic pages that hold (20) 2x2's per page. It has a front cover, back cover, and pages in the middle. A Book... My apologies for the confusion. I will add arrows indicating the notching simply to be extremely clear. With all due respect, I honestly feel that if a coin posted isn't Unc or MS it's immediately disregarded and the first person to chime in is echoed by most others with one of 3 or 4 standard responses. I.E. "Don't see it", "Environmental Damage", "That's a circulated coin not worth grading","Copy & Paste" (verification images). I understand from a pure Numismatic view a new variety should be verified with an UNC example. I'm honestly to the point of forgetting this full time hobby. This forum is an amazing source of information and motivation. Unfortunately, I've found the opposite. I guess I'm saying that I spend a lot of time studying, hundreds of coins weekly and reading as much solid info I can find. I put in significant work before I post something new in effort to get solid advice and insight. The experience falls flat on my end especially when an explanation of a decenting opinion isn't given. Nothing's learned, confusion and doubt take hold. I either forget about it or seek the opinion and explanation of a confident mentor. I will add arrows at the notching and if you'd kindly have a 2nd look keeping in mind that the coin is 102 years old. However, it isn't flattened at all. Honestly, I've seen worse examples used on reference websites for variety verification. I apologize for the frustration. Maybe I'm missing some foundational info that's causing me to overlook something fundamental. Couple new modified pics to come. Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the sites have a DDO listed for that year, except Wexler on the 'S' mint on an eyelid. On PCGS, I see no examples there that look like your coin. The tough call on this one would be the circulation flattening on your coin. While it looks interesting, I still have my doubts. A lot of the examples on PCGS have Machine Doubling. So that might be common that year. Shoot another set of images and email John Wexler to see what he thinks. He may/may not, request to have it sent to him for a closer look? See what he thinks. I'd keep it safe for now.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45167 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ozzy5150,
The better the photos you post the better we all can help you. If you want in-depth comments to all of your posts then you should PM coop if he is willing to do it. We all have our opinions positive or negative, take them with a grain of salt or ignore them...IMHO.As coop said.take and send good photos to Wexler if he wants to see them.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
06/21/2022 11:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2090 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will add to Coops response with a comment if I may for your photos.
Hub doubling is not only defined by notching and lines but by the distortion in a predictable manner of the design elements.
To give a reliable representation of this distortion, the coin must be parallel to the film/sensor plane of the camera.
I did a study of photographing the same coin with the first image of the coin parallel and the second tilted to the film plane.

As you can see, tilting the coin changes a great deal about the design elements.
Your closeups need to be of the coin without it being tilted for lighting to give anyone a chance to see any distortion that may be caused by doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you tilt the images too much, then the camera take an image of a distorted set of devices. (Making this shorter in height)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 551Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: