Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Question About Canadian Modern Coins Stuck At Foreign Mints.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 922Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I tried to look this up but it seems pretty slim pickings. I know in 1968 the us mint struck dimes for Canadian circulation.

Is there other years Canadian coins were struck for circulation by a forign mint? Or even PL, proof of specimen?
Edited by Wrekkdd
06/21/2022 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4955 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on what you call modern, the Paris Mint in 1937 crank out those brass trial coins and in the 1980"s the Sherrit Mint in Sask. was contracted to produce 5 cents
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Depends on what you call modern, the Paris Mint in 1937 crank out those brass trial coins and in the 1980"s the Sherrit Mint in Sask. was contracted to produce 5 cents

I looked at a bunch of pattern coins from forign mints, I'm also not sure the difference between a "pattern" and a "mule" if there is one?

I'm asking more about coins like the 1968 Canadian dimes struck by an American mint the 1968 is the only I know of that has a definitive way to tell the difference(like a mint mark)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel like 1968 is a very abused year for finding high grade examples because everyone destroys them checking for silver.

So for this specific example I'm curiouser if there is silver dimes struck at both the ottowa and Philadelphia mint or just one of the mints? I believe a high grade example of a 68 non silver would be harder to come by.

That's all kind of off topic though, I mean aside from that specific example where there is a way to tell the difference between mints. For the 1968 it's the reeding.
Learn More...
Australia
14375 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm also not sure the difference between a "pattern" and a "mule" if there is one?

They are completely different terms that describe different things, though the confusion is understandable. Quasi-experts abound on EBay and social media and they tend to be very loose and inaccurate with their numismatic terminology.

A "pattern" is a proposed design of a coin, usually used to describe a coin featuring a design that was never actually issued or in some way is distinctly different to "regular" circulating coins of the same denomination and date. A pattern might have a proposed design that was never actually adopted, or it might bear a date that was a year or two before the actual production of circulating coins commenced. Or it might be uniface. Most coins called "patterns" are "official patterns", created by the Mint for submitting a design to the government committee responsible for deciding to adopt the design or not, or for testing the new design on the Mint's machinery, or for various other purposes. There also exist coins that are describe as "unofficial patterns" - these are essentially privately-made fantasy coins, never seriously considered as actual coin designs. The Edward VIII fantasy patterns are a classic example of this latter class. A "pattern" is not a mint error, though certain official patterns falling into the hands of the general public might be regarded as an administrative error.

A "mule" is a kind of mint error, where the "wrong die" was placed in the press to strike a coin or batch of coins. A typical mule has the obverse of one coin, and the reverse of a completely different coin - the name "mule" of course derives from the actual mule animals, which are the result of cross-breeding a horse and a donkey. The "wrong die" might be an obsolete die accidentally brought out of storage and used, it might be a die from a different denomination, or might even be a die for a coin from a completely different country. I believe the Canadian series has all of these kinds of mule.

As for the OP's question...

Quote:
I know in 1968 the us mint struck dimes for Canadian circulation.

Is there other years Canadian coins were struck for circulation by a foreign mint? Or even PL, proof of specimen?

As a general rule, a Mint that is large enough, and has enough spare production capacity, to go around striking coins for other countries will usually have more than enough capacity to strike all of the coinage for the Mint's host country - the primary reason for existence of the RCM is to produce Canada's circulating coinage, and they wouldn't be seeking to fill international orders if they couldn't meet domestic demand. The RCM has been producing coins for other countries since at least the early 1980s (I know they made some coins for Australia in 1981), so I doubt there would have been much need to outsource coins from other countries since then. The RCM website currently boasts that they have a monopoly on Canada's circulating coinage production.

The only exception would be in the case of lengthy industrial action, or a fire or some other major industrial accident that might have caused an extensive shutdown at the Mint. For example, the RAM in Australia normally produces all of Australia's own coins too, but the Canadian-made 1981 coins for Australia were produced when mint workers in Canberra all went on strike for several months. But I'm not aware of any major mint shutdowns happening at the RCM.

It's generally considered embarrassing when a normally self-sufficient country has to begging from its friends for help. Outsourcing to a foreign mint is therefore the option of last resort.

But if in doubt, check your Charleton catalogue. It mentions the Philly-made coins, it would mention any others; a large batch of coins outsourced to a foreign mint would get a mention there, even if there wasn't a readily discernable mintmark.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1996 Twoonie has some German made planchets. And of course the London and Heaton mints produced coins for Canada prior to 1908.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SAP, the only example for circulation coinage I know of is the 1968 dime so I was curiouser if there we others and if so, if there was a definitive way to tell the difference. If the only Canadian coin stuck in the USA for circulation was the transitional half silver to nickel dime then I would like to get one in a high grade(even with the mintage numbers) 68 non silver dimes all tend to be pretty rough. (Non PL)
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  08:21 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am aware of the RCM sourcing planchets, even copper-plated steel 1c planchets from Europe in the late 2000s. But I can't think of anything beyond 1968 where circulation coinage was produced externally.

1968 is a fun year, there are even cool off metal errors out there, like this CAN 10c struck on a US clad 10c planchet.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SPP, and yes from what I know 1967-69 there was a fair amount of crazy stuff to come out of the mint. Iv gone through a few hundred 68 nickel dimes but every one I find is heavily circulated. I'll probably end up buying the nickel variety from Ottawa and Philadelphia as I don't think iv ever found one even close to mine state, and most of them have been culled with giant scratches.

Also that's a pretty cool planchet error! I recently saw a 1963 Canadian 5 cent struck on a dodecagon planchet, is that the right shape lol? Anyways is was on a planchet like the 1962, it was on the bay but out of my price range lol. I love those kinds of errors thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1008 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get a load of this Wrekkdd. Shortly before you started this thread, I picked the exact coin to challenge the guessers on the 20 Question thread. I was so shocked to see it. How dare you. . I knew I was done right there and then. Loonie luck is what I call it. keith12 doesn't miss much. . Bummer, I had them scratching their heads, but I don't blame you, just my luck/timing. 1st round is on you. .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry loonieleey, what a coincidence. I had to go check out the 20 questions thread after you said that, I have honestly never checked that thread out untill just now, didn't mean to ruin your round:p.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3936 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
didn't mean to ruin your round:p.

Loonie is just looking for excuses. We had him nailed anyway.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1008 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries Wrekkdd. I don't play to win. They pick on me endlessly there, and even chase me down on other threads to give me the gears. Hope you start playing 20 Q's.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3936 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They pick on me endlessly there, and even chase me down on other threads to give me the gears.

Loonie, you know you love it.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8850 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1968 dimes are the only modern circulation coins struck at a foreign mint.
Surprising how many different composition varieties of these 68's are out there.
You can tell by the reeding that the example shown by SPP was struck in Philadelphia.

Quote:
I recently saw a 1963 Canadian 5 cent struck on a dodecagon planchet, is that the right shape lol? Anyways is was on a planchet like the 1962, it was on the bay but out of my price range lol.
Good thing you didn't buy, it's a fake.
All multi sided circulation coins are struck on round planchets.
It's the dies that give them their shape.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good thing you didn't buy, it's a fake.
All multi sided circulation coins are struck on round planchets.
It's the dies that give them their shape

So it's not the collar that gives the coin that shape? I have never actually thought about it, if the planchet is cut that way as blanks then it would be impossible for a round collar to produce such a thing unless it was both a planchet and collar error.

On a side not.. I would never spend actual money on anything I question without an answer. On top of that it was several hundred dollars and I wouldn't spend anything close to that if not in hand and I understood how it happened.

So is the idea of a multi edged coin being struck off year where it should be round(or vise versa impossible)?

An off topic question from my original question seems to have been answered

Edited by Wrekkdd
06/23/2022 2:57 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 922Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: