Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan Fans, Thoughts On This 1896-O?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 470Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First sorry for poor cell phone photos, I did the best I could to capture the general idea.

I recently acquired a batch of Morgans in 2x2s, pretty standard stuff but wonder about this one, labeled AU and with a price tag $225 (which means it would need to grade at least 53 to be in the ballpark).

What do you think? There is a pretty bad scratch on Liberty's lower jaw, and the eagle has pretty much no breast feathers, so methinks AU is a tad optimistic. TIA, -t

Pillar of the Community
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough to grade from these pics, but for me it has the look of an XF details coin from the slash on the cheek and possibly a past cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8266 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie took the words right out of my typing fingers.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on all counts. Not a fan.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2067 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not even close to a straight AU-53. I see a problem XF, scratches and very distracting cleaning.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with others. XF details, scratched and cleaned
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10427 Posts
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, I agree XF details, I paid the full $225, but it was to a family member who I certainly don't mind getting the money. Here's the rest (paid a lot less for these) -

Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this newest picture says those are very well priced to me at least ... You could check for major varieties on vamworld.com; there could be a cool one in that batch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2067 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice collection, and check the varieties
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, this newest picture says those are very well priced to me at least

Well like that upper right one that says $3.75, that tells you how long ago that must have been put in the holder. I paid a generic "going rate" for the others based on silver price and overall nicer condition. And shelled out the $225 as listed on the OP coin just to give benefit of the doubt, I knew it probably wasn't really AU. All good, fun new batch.
Learn More...
United States
114863 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I paid the full $225, but it was to a family member who I certainly don't mind getting the money.
A worthy gesture!

If you like the family member you might be able to assign some sentimental value to it as well.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool stuff!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: