Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Company To Avoid

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 585Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  1:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Are there any grading companies to avoid?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45798 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Avoid all but PCGS-NGC-ANACS...IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15808 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could probably add ICG to the John1 List.
These are the only four that are recognized by eBay as reliable graders.
All the rest are known as basement slabbers and there are dozens of them out there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Canadian coins, ICCS and CCCS are also respected.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4314 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with John , above comment
and JimmyD comment as well.

Over the last year , we have used NGC , ANACS , and ICCS.
Believe it or not ANACS , value wise has been really excellent .
They have tightened their grading standards on Morgan/ Peace
dollars and on US Type to a realistic somewhat Conservative level .
Also their service , prices and turnaround times are top notch .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1843 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, all of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8872 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just buy the coin not the holder, any of the PCGS or NGC coins at least add some what of a value, ANACS as well. But it's the coin that matters, and if you can't grade, or know Counterfeit Detection, then at least the big three PCGS, NGC and ANACS back their coins up with guarantees. PCGS has paid back millions over the years for poorly graded coins, or ones that slipped through their generally high standards (I cna't speak for NGC or ANACS).

Personally I could care less about a slab 98% of the time, but that's me, I've spent years learning about coins and looking at tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of coins, and taking classes from some of the top and best teachers in the business.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17772 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2022  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Avoid NNC and any basement grading company that you never heard of .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2022  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS and NGC are the top tier. They house most of the top coins. Look at any decent to high end auction house and you will mostly see their slabs.

ANACS is in there too. They might not carry a value premium like PCGS/NGC, but their fees are much more affordable and are a really good option if slabbing your collection for in-house purposes like safety, variety attribution, or preparation to hand down as inheritance.

ICS gets a note because they have met the criteria for eBay.

You might see SEGS from time to time. Not sure if still in business though. But lots of folk like their labels and solid cases. Enough variability in their grading that some got burned with an over-grade and others cherrypicked gems of undergraded. Be the cherrypicker.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
07/20/2022 8:52 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: