Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1934-38 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial - The 1935 Issues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 491Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8726 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2022  07:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The year 1935 witnessed a unique scenario in the annals of the US classic commemorative coin series. It was in that year that six versions of the same coin were issued by a sponsor. I refer to the Daniel Boone Bicentennial Commission and its Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial half dollar.

Early in the year, the Mint produced 1935-dated coins at Philadelphia, as well as in Denver and San Francisco (i.e., a three-coin P/D/S set). When it did so, the Boone bicentennial year (1934) was removed from the coin as it was no longer applicable (the Mint generally includes only the "struck" year on the coins it produces, unless otherwise directed). This did not sit well with the Bicentennial Commission. It asked the Mint to incorporate "1934" in the design for all future strikings, but was told by the Mint that such could not be done unless so authorized by Congress.

So, the Bicentennial Commission went back to Congress and successfully secured an amendment to its original legislation that mandated a 1934 date be included as a supplemental date on all future Boone coins. As a result, another batch of 1935-dated Boone half dollars was struck, but with a small "1934" added to the reverse to identify the bicentennial year of Boone's birth. (You can read the details of this scenario here: The Small "1934" Boone Half Dollars.)

As was the case for the original 1935 issue, the "Small 1934" variety of the coin was struck at Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco (i.e. a second three-coin P/D/S set). This made for six versions of the 1935 coin being marketed to collectors! No other classic-era coin had six different versions of the same design type released in the same year.

Frank C. Dunn, a member of the Bicentennial Commission as well as a coin dealer, manipulated the market for the coins. First, claiming they were scarce/rare, he raised the Commission's issue price on the 1935/34 Denver and San Francisco coins to $3.70 for the pair (vs. $3.00 for the regular 1935 pair). He then claimed the "Small 1934" D and S coins were over-subscribed and refunded most orders. What angered collectors (and eventually Congress), however, was the fact that Dunn and other dealers suddenly had 1935/34 D-S sets available for $60.00 and up. Can you say "Collector Exploitation"?

1935/34 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial Half Dollar

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, including more on the history of the Boone half dollar, see: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75215 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some things never change!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2022  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful info and a nice coin.

KK
Learn More...
United States
120816 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I'd wondered about the 2 versions for that year but hadn't ever researched it...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8726 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2022  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd wondered about the 2 versions for that year but hadn't ever researched it...

And now...you don't have to!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9257 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was generally aware of the 'small 1934' issues but not of the details surrounding their issue. Many thanks to you commems for sharing the backstory.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: